Finale 2011 Finalescript in MacOS Sierra

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

mjwoulard
Finale Version: Multiple Finale
Operating System: Mac

Post by mjwoulard » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:06 pm

Hi, All

I know that Finale 2011 has compatibility problems with Sierra, most noticeably with HP and AU crashes. However, I've also noticed that I cannot work with any FinaleScripts. It does not recognize any scripts in the folder (even the default ones) and I am unable to open the script editor within the program. (No window appears when I try to.) Is this a known issue? If so, has anyone figured out a way to make it work? I've spent some time searching for this, but haven't found conversation specifically involving 2011 FinaleScript and Sierra. My apologies if this has been answered before.

Context: I'm considering upgrading my 2011 iMac (currently dual-booting Mavericks and Sierra), but I still have to work in Finale 2011 and 2012 quite a bit. Unfortunately, Mavericks doesn't support newer processors, so I couldn't continue dual-booting those. 2012 seems to work well enough for my purposes, save for the HP and AU stuff, but scripts not working in 2011 is problematic.

I suppose if anyone is successfully using Finale 2011 scripts in El Capitan that would be useful to know as well.

Thanks!

MikeHalloran
Finale Version: 27

Post by MikeHalloran » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:57 pm

mjwoulard wrote:Hi, All

I know that Finale 2011 has compatibility problems with Sierra, most noticeably with HP and AU crashes. However, I've also noticed that I cannot work with any FinaleScripts. It does not recognize any scripts in the folder (even the default ones) and I am unable to open the script editor within the program. (No window appears when I try to.) Is this a known issue? If so, has anyone figured out a way to make it work? I've spent some time searching for this, but haven't found conversation specifically involving 2011 FinaleScript and Sierra. My apologies if this has been answered before.

Context: I'm considering upgrading my 2011 iMac (currently dual-booting Mavericks and Sierra), but I still have to work in Finale 2011 and 2012 quite a bit. Unfortunately, Mavericks doesn't support newer processors, so I couldn't continue dual-booting those. 2012 seems to work well enough for my purposes, save for the HP and AU stuff, but scripts not working in 2011 is problematic.

I suppose if anyone is successfully using Finale 2011 scripts in El Capitan that would be useful to know as well.

Thanks!
The scripts window opens for me but none appear in 2011.

Finale 2011 will no longer install but works somewhat if installed in an earlier OS that was updated. I don't recall if that's Sierra only or if El Cap is included. Except for looking at issues such as this, I don't use 2011 anymore.

Mike Halloran

Finale 27.4.1, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 14.5 (public beta); 2023 Studio M2 Ultra, 192G RAM, 8TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer4, Dorico 5, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:15 pm

You could try running Mavericks in a Virtual Machine, and use 2011 inside there. I know many software engineers and testers who run older OS versions in VMs.

There's a Parallels Lite for free on the Mac App Store: here's instructions how to use it to put OS X in a VM.

http://osxdaily.com/2017/04/11/run-maco ... parallels/

mjwoulard
Finale Version: Multiple Finale

Post by mjwoulard » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:59 pm

Thanks for taking the time to test that out, Mike. That's what I was afraid of. (That picture is great lol)

BuonTempi, I think that's the ticket! Thanks for recommending that! I'll do some research into it, but that is probably the way to go.