Finale 2012: 6/8 measure

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Inside Out
Finale Version: 2012
Operating System: Windows

Post by Inside Out » Fri May 12, 2017 6:22 am

Hello friends.
I have created "New default document" and set appropriate tonality and measure.

Finale didn't make 3 eighties for all notes in score

Please answer me what to do to be like on the photo:

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Fri May 12, 2017 6:31 am

You need to change the time signature. 6/8 can be thought of as 6 eighths (obviously) - which Finale will beam as you have there: individually. Or you can think of it as 2 dotted quarters, in which case, Finale will beam your notes to those beats.

Finale can handle very complex time signatures, in order to create beaming groups in particular rhythms.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Fri May 12, 2017 1:01 pm

If you set up the time signature with the drop down in the selection tool, 6/8 will be set the way you want it.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri May 12, 2017 3:48 pm

miker wrote:If you set up the time signature with the drop down in the selection tool, 6/8 will be set the way you want it.
When you are in the Selection Tool, the Time Signature menu is a sub-menu in the context menu.
This can be a little awkward since you have to, first mouse the (main) context menu, and then the Time Signature sub-menu.

However, when you are in the Time Signature Tool, the Time Signature menu is the context menu.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Fri May 12, 2017 4:43 pm

If music has already been entered, you'll need to use Rebeam from the Utilities menu even after fixing the time signature.

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Fri May 12, 2017 6:13 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote:
miker wrote:If you set up the time signature with the drop down in the selection tool, 6/8 will be set the way you want it.
When you are in the Selection Tool, the Time Signature menu is a sub-menu in the context menu.
This can be a little awkward since you have to, first mouse the (main) context menu, and then the Time Signature sub-menu.

However, when you are in the Time Signature Tool, the Time Signature menu is the context menu.
I have (almost never) used the time sig or key sig tools (or clef, or repeat) since all of them were conjoined into the selection tool. Why search for an icon (or remember a metatool) when they are right there? But there are many ways to do things, and I certainly won't claim my way is best for anyone except me.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society