display cue notes in linked parts with separate layers

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

meb
Finale Version: Fin 25-26-27
Operating System: Windows

Post by meb » Sat May 13, 2017 3:02 pm

In a score with both Oboes on the same staff (Oboe 1 in Layer 1, Oboe 2 in Layer 2), it is necessary to separate these into two different linked parts so the performers can read a single staff. (I.e., Oboe 1 part shows only layer 1; Oboe 2 shows layer 2).

However, this means cue notes will not display. They only display if the Oboe staff shows all layers.
This same situation occurs with all staves notated for two instruments (trumpets, flutes, etc.)

Is there some quick-and-slick way to solve this problem?

Thanks for any idea.
MB
Win 8.1, 64-bit, Ram 16G, 3.6Ghz
Fin 2014.5, Fin25, 26, 27
TG Tools Pro, NotePerformer 3.3
Garritan Inst. for Finale, Classic Pipe Organs
Kontakt 3, Bolder Sounds Amer. Folk
Logitech, Z533

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sat May 13, 2017 7:01 pm

This issue has been discussed before.

Instead of using the feature “Part Voicing”, create two parts containing the same ‘Oboes’ staff.
You can name the two parts as you like, e. g. “Oboe 1” and “Oboe 2”.

In the “Oboe 1” part, use a staff style to hide Layer 2, and show the remaining layers.

In the “Oboe 2” part, use another staff style to hide Layer 1, and show the remaining layers.

I hope that this is clear?

If not, ask again.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Gareth Green
Finale Version: Finale 26.2

Post by Gareth Green » Sat May 13, 2017 7:01 pm

There are ways of dealing with this using Staff Styles. I can't go into specifics, I'm afraid because I'm not at my Finale laptop, but I've definitely solved this problem in the past by means of Staff Styles.
Gareth J. Green
FIn26
Win10

meb
Finale Version: Fin 25-26-27

Post by meb » Sat May 13, 2017 7:24 pm

Thank you for the replies. I had searched the forum but found no solution. Must have been the wrong search terms.

I had already created Oboe 1 and Oboe 2, as suggested, but cue notes do not display if the part is limited to a particular layer in Manage Parts.

However, meanwhile, I found a solution before returning to the forum.

I went back to those two Oboe parts, but unchecked "specify voicing" in Manage Parts. [Sorry, I now see that is what you were implying, but I didn't understand that I had to allow all voices in both Oboe 1 and Oboe 2.]

Then I created a new staff style based on 03. Blank Notation: Layer 1.
This new style, "Blank Notation Layer 2" applies the Alternate Notation settings to Layer 2 instead of Layer 1.
Using that new style for Oboe 1 and style 03 for Oboe 2, I now can see the cue notes in both Oboe parts.

Thanks again for your comments.
MB
Win 8.1, 64-bit, Ram 16G, 3.6Ghz
Fin 2014.5, Fin25, 26, 27
TG Tools Pro, NotePerformer 3.3
Garritan Inst. for Finale, Classic Pipe Organs
Kontakt 3, Bolder Sounds Amer. Folk
Logitech, Z533