2 fermatas recognized in playback, 3 fermata not.

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

markv68
Finale Version: finale 2005b
Operating System: Windows

Post by markv68 » Wed May 17, 2017 2:06 am

I have a simple piano piece that plays back the first 2 fermatas just right. Nice pause. The third one doesn't seem to play back at all when playing back the entire piece. However, when I set playback to start a few measures in front of it, then it plays with a pause. I put all 3 in the document at the same time. All the settings are the same using the expression tool.

Any ideas are worth looking at.

thanks

Windows
Finale 2005b

Sorry I'm using an old version still

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed May 17, 2017 4:17 am

Welcome to the forum!

Finale 2005b is indeed an old version.

I suppose that v2005 has Human Playback (?), and that Human Playback is responsible for interpreting the fermatas?
markv68 wrote:… I put all 3 in the document at the same time. All the settings are the same using the expression tool …
Normally you would use the Articulation Tool, rather than the Expression Tool.

Have you tried the Articulation Tool?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Wed May 17, 2017 4:37 am

I still have 2005. If you want to post your file, I'll take a look.

HP is buggy. I recall a fermata and a rit. interfering with one another; one or the other didn't play, but I forget which.

markv68

Post by markv68 » Wed May 17, 2017 7:53 am

I had trouble working with the articulation tool. Seems it's missing some things that the manual says it should have.

Since I'm brand new and although I've had this program since 2005-6, can't remember, and I'm unfamiliar with how a forum like this works with a person's creative product, I'm concerned about uploading my file. However, if it can only be opened by forum admins or people I designate, I'm fine with that. Just don't know protocol. Happy for the help. Peter and Motet, I see your names all over this board and for some time. Are files open for anyone, how does this work? There's probably a set of guidelines, but I can't find it. Sorry...

thanks
Mark

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed May 17, 2017 11:14 am

markv68 wrote:I had trouble working with the articulation tool. Seems it's missing some things, that the manual says it should have …
I am not sure what you mean is missing from the tool?
- the Articulation Tool’s icon?
- the dialog box Articulation Designer?
- the ability to program articulation metatools?

Do you perhaps mean that some articulations are missing?
Articulations are document specific (not program specific).

markv68 wrote:… I'm concerned about uploading my file. However, if it can only be opened by forum admins or people I designate, I'm fine with that. Just don't know protocol. Happy for the help. Peter and Motet, I see your names all over this board and for some time. Are files open for anyone, how does this work? …
The attached files are open for anyone.
I suggest that you create a (small) Finale sample document by making a duplicate copy of your Finale document, and removing from the duplicate everything that is not relevant for the ‘fermata’ issue.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

markv68

Post by markv68 » Wed May 17, 2017 4:54 pm

Fermata problem.MUS
(65.11 KiB) Downloaded 163 times
Thanks Peter, the relevant file is attached. I verified that it still fails to pause on the 3rd fermata.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Wed May 17, 2017 5:05 pm

When I change the fermatas from Expressions to Articulations, they work just fine. Why not do them as articulations?

Also, when I change the playback definition of the Expression to None, they work just fine. I think the playback assignment to a playback shape is confusing Human Playback.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

markv68

Post by markv68 » Wed May 17, 2017 5:34 pm

Yes! just changed the playback expression to "none" and it works fine. thanks so much! I will take a look at how to do the articulation method. thanks for the advice...

M~