FinaleScript deletes script when saving

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

pianophil
Finale Version: Finale 2012 for PC

Post by pianophil » Mon May 22, 2017 1:47 pm

Hi everyone,
I wanted to get into FinaleScript but I seem to have some problems.
When I open the Palette and then set up a new script apparently nothing happens when saving the script (e.g. no greyed out button). When I "Save and Close" the script and come back to it afterwards, the editor window is blank again.
Strangely, the same thing happens when I try to edit one of the preset scripts and save it. When I return into the editor in order to see the code, everything ist deleted.
I've already reinstalled my Finale but that didn't change anything and the problem still persists.
Is there anybody out there who has an idea about what I could do to make things work?

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Mon May 22, 2017 3:36 pm

It could be a file permissions problem, but since you say you "come back to it," does that mean your new script is listed in the list of scripts? Also, what do you mean by "no greyed-out button"? Make sure you're clicking the right button to edit the script. Either double-click the name in the list of scripts, or single-click and click the pencil icon. Does the script run if you select it and click the Play button?

pianophil

Post by pianophil » Mon May 22, 2017 4:06 pm

Yes, the new script is listed in the list of scripts. When I try to get into the code again by doing as you described, it's empty, even if I saved it before.
I just wondered if maybe the "Save"-Button would gray out (=disabled) after clicking on it, but I get absolutely no indication whatsoever that the script saving process is successful. Neither from within the editor nor from the list of scripts the new script will run.
I also noticed that while writing in the editor, the text won't get coloured as it should be according to the help file.

motet

Post by motet » Mon May 22, 2017 4:23 pm

The Save button doesn't change color when you save.

Try this: create a new script that contains just

Menu item "Document Options"

(the text in quotes should be colored). Run it from within the editor to see that it works (it should open the Document Options dialog, which you can then close). Then click Save and close and run it from the FinaleScript palette. Does it run?

pianophil

Post by pianophil » Mon May 22, 2017 4:47 pm

I tried exactly what you told me to do but the text did not change colour, the script did not run from both inside the editor and the script list. And when trying to open the script within the editor again, there is no more code inside the script...

motet

Post by motet » Mon May 22, 2017 5:28 pm

FinaleScript is pretty buggy, and the user interface is non-standard and confusing. When I type in the commands in Finale 2011 they're colored slightly (see below), but after running the script they're highlighted, and when I unhighlight the coloring is gone. But if running the script produces no effect, it could be a file/directory permissions problem. The scripts will be somewhere like

C:\Users\Pianophil\AppData\Roaming\MakeMusic\Finale 2011\FinaleScript

so you could explore there. You might also experiment with creating the script in a different subfolder (e.g. "My Scripts").
Attachments
0191.png
0191.png (46.98 KiB) Viewed 4277 times

motet

Post by motet » Mon May 22, 2017 5:40 pm

If you find your script in the above folder, try looking at it with Windows Notepad.

You might also try rebooting your system before giving up.

pianophil

Post by pianophil » Mon May 22, 2017 9:14 pm

Thanks for your advice!
I still don't get to save anything from within the editor. However, when I write the script directly in Notepad and save it to the Script folder, I can execute it normally. Of course, this is not very comfortable because I have to navigate to the Script folder everytime I want to make changes to my script. I tried to give all possible authorisations to the folder but it didn't change anything.

motet

Post by motet » Mon May 22, 2017 9:44 pm

Perhaps you can put a shortcut to the folder on the desktop.

It does seem like a permissions problem. I seem to recall MM struggling in the past with installing Finale with correct permissions, so that might be it. But it's no great loss not to be able to use the editor in the FinaleScript palette so it may not be worth pursuing beyond rebooting, if you haven't already done so.