Mirror tool

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Inside Out
Finale Version: 2012
Operating System: Windows

Post by Inside Out » Mon May 29, 2017 9:05 pm

Hello friends.
I am deeply learning how to use Finale.

Please type something in Finale and than use mirror tool and after that make screenshot and than post on this topic.
The fact is that I have read user manual but I don't understand what a author has written.

So, I have figured that If I see what Mirror tool works than I will find out what does Mirror tool work.

Please type something in Finale and than use mirror tool and after that make screenshot and than post on this topic.

I have asked my teacher of solfeggio to show me and explain me on my mother tongue what does Mirror tool work, but teacher didn't know to give me a answer.

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26

Post by Michel R E » Mon May 29, 2017 9:20 pm

Do not use Mirror Tool.
It is an old tool that does not work correctly anymore.

But especially, do not stand in front of a mirror and say "Mirror Tool, Mirror Tool, Mirror Tool".
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon May 29, 2017 10:07 pm

Also, the Mirror Tool has been removed from the later Finale versions.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Inside Out
Finale Version: 2012

Post by Inside Out » Tue May 30, 2017 5:41 am

So, the Mirror tool doesn't work.

Thank you for the replies.

Vaughan
Finale Version: Finale 25

Post by Vaughan » Wed May 31, 2017 11:27 am

The mirror tool was used to create copies of measures which would change if the source measures changed. This was handy when computers were slower and creating/redrawing/copying measures took a lot of time and processor power. Nowadays this isn't necessary, as copying is practically instantaneous and the process can be customised (with the Edit Filter).
Vaughan

Finale 3.2 - 26, Sibelius 4 - 7, Dorico 2.2
Tobias Giesen's plugins, full version, Robert Patterson plugins, Jari's plugins
MacOS 10.14.2
MacPro (2016) 16 GB, MacBookPro (2018) 16 GB

Amsterdam

saxofon

Post by saxofon » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:14 pm

I cannot belive that they removed the mirror tool in version 25. For me it's essential. In e.g. drum tracks, you have 80% repeated bars in modern music. If you change one bar now, you have to look for the other 100 equal bars and copy every single bar.
It's really a pitty that they doesn't work anymore on this program. They do bug fixes but introduce new bugs in every version. Now they get even tired to fix the bugs, so they take the feature out and tell that nobody needs it.... The core of this program is the same for decades now, nothing new, that's not enough to line up with modern programs. They promote the change to 64bit now -good morning, ten years ago that might have been an argument. I should have changed to another program, but time to learn software is pretty long. But there will be no alternative if they continue doing nothing.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:34 pm

Finale 2012 and 2014/2014.5 have the Mirror Tool. If you have either of these versions, you're all set. If you had either of these versions and uninstalled the software, let this be a lesson. Never uninstall an older version of Finale until you're absolutely sure that the features of the latest version are to your liking. I'd say never uninstall your previous 2 versions. You never know when you might need them. It is indeed a pitty.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

saxofon

Post by saxofon » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:01 am

Do you know any other software where you have to keep 3 versions to get the job done? The file formats are incompatible, with version x you cannot use external soundcards, with version y only 44kHz. Version z crashes when you edit in page view... (Do you know any other "professional" software that cannot edit in page view?) I don't need 64 bit and new designs but a stable version with more fixed bugs than new bugs, and I don't want to be the beta tester of half-cocked changes.

Bill Stevens
Finale Version: Using 26, testing 27

Post by Bill Stevens » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:27 pm

You wrote: Do you know any other "professional" software that cannot edit in page view?

Can you be more specific about problems you have in Page View?

Bill
Version 26.3 / 27.4 / Mac OS 10.15.5 Catalina
Finale user since the beginning of time.

saxofon

Post by saxofon » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:25 pm

Bill, if I get more specific with finale problems, I'd have to write a book. Speedy Entry Tool never worked for me in page view, seems to have fixed itself in version 25, but that's an old known problem.
Absolutely essential should be a new chord tool, I have constructed about 200 chord suffixes now, shifting every character horizontal and vertical to the right place.... It should be possible to construct chords like Cm-5/7 from the three suffixes m, -5 and 7. So you could construct every chord from a hand full of suffixes. Now you need hundreds of suffixes for m, m-5, m7, m-5/7, -5, 7, -5/7.... And that was only one example, there are chords like -5/+5/+9/-13, sus-6/7, omit 1/m/-5/+11/13,...