Video about Percussion layouts and midi maps

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

shnootre
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by shnootre » Wed May 31, 2017 7:37 pm

I made this for a friend, and I'm no expert - but I think this may be useful for some. A little video about how to setup percussion layouts and midi maps (particularly when using 3rd party sounds).

My hunch is there are certain things I do here that could be improved upon, but overall, I think this might be helpful to some!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbwOcUv ... e=youtu.be
Dan Sonenberg
www.danielsonenberg.org
Finale 25.5
iMac Retina 5k, 27-inch, 2017. 32gb ram, and OSX 10.13.6 and MacBook pro 2018, 13", 2.7GHz Intel Core i7, 16gb ram, OSX 10.13.6
Vienna Ensemble Pro, Logic X, and lotsa samples

thomsmit57
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by thomsmit57 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:47 pm

Thank you. It just so happens that I've been composing more in the orchestral vein recently and I need/want to customize my percussion options.
This came at a good time. This was incredibly helpful in navigating what looks like a complicated process.

One criticism, with respect: at 25 minutes, it might be a little long. But owing to the complexity of the subject, I wouldn't know how to begin to tell you where or how to cut it down! But keep them coming!

I'll probably watch it again to soak more of it up.
Guitarist, Composer, Arranger, Publisher, Engraver
Finale 27.4.1
iMac 27" running Ventura OS 13.6.6
Logic Pro 10.7, Korg M1 (vintage 1980s)
www.thomasmithmusic.com

shnootre
Finale Version: 25

Post by shnootre » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:41 pm

Thanks for the reply, and glad the video was helpful.
Yeah - I hear you about the length, and I do think with more editing and more of a PLAN going in I could have cut that length down. Really I was just making a vid for a friend - I did do a bit of editing afterwards, but gosh it takes a lot of time!

But I'll think about making some more of these. Last year I spent a lot of time struggling to get VSTs to work well with Finale, and delved into a bunch of areas that the finale manual and tech support teams simply don't cover. Will keep brevity in mind if I make some more!!
Dan Sonenberg
www.danielsonenberg.org
Finale 25.5
iMac Retina 5k, 27-inch, 2017. 32gb ram, and OSX 10.13.6 and MacBook pro 2018, 13", 2.7GHz Intel Core i7, 16gb ram, OSX 10.13.6
Vienna Ensemble Pro, Logic X, and lotsa samples