Multimeasure rests in voiced parts

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

CMoncur
Finale Version: Finale 26.3.1 Mac
Operating System: Mac

Post by CMoncur » Wed May 31, 2017 10:24 pm

I'm having my first time trying working with parts with voicing. I've just encountered my first problem.

My settings for the parts are:
selected notes from one or more layer
In measure containing a single layer, display: Selected note 1st or 2nd Note (depending on part)
Include single note passages is checked
In multiple layers display layer 1 or 2 (depending on part)

The problem I'm having is when part 1 has a solo line I'm forced to put rests in layer 2 so it doesn't show up in part 2 and then I can't make a multimeasure rest for part 2 in those bars.

I'm copying a piece that was done by someone else and I'd say 90% of the parts are single line unisons for both parts or chord parts in layer 1. It would take way too long to duplicate all the single line stuff into layer 2 in order to change the settings and it seems like there should be a very obvious solution I'm not seeing.
Finale 26.3.1, Mac OS X 13.6.3

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Wed May 31, 2017 10:54 pm

I avoid the voicing feature altogether, instead putting each instrument into its own staff. I make the parts from these, then combine the pair onto a single staff for the purpose of the score. I don't know how far along you are, but that might be a possibility.

CMoncur

Post by CMoncur » Wed May 31, 2017 11:12 pm

Nevermind! For anyone else with this problem I just created a staff style to change the notation on layer 2 to "blank notation with rests" and applied to only the part! Finale will now allow me to create a multimeasure rest and all is right in the world!

But it's funny, I did consider doing it your way motet but thought I would trust finale that this feature would be relatively bug free....should have known better!

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Wed May 31, 2017 11:29 pm

I don't know that it's bugs as much as not being fully thought out. I think there's a problem also with doing the cues the usual way of putting them in layer 4.

sesqui

Post by sesqui » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:36 pm

I'm actually having this same problem. Would you kindly outline exactly what you did, step by step, to remedy this? Thanks for your time!

CMoncur

Post by CMoncur » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:50 pm

Gladly!

1) I created a staff style and in the 'Alternate Notation' window selected 'Blank Notation with Rests' and selected Apply to Layer 1 (or Layer 2 depending on which you're working in).

2) I went to the part and selected the measures in question and 'Applied staff style to current part/score'.

3) That's it! With the staff style applied to the part you should still get default rests in the measures and be able to create a multimeasure rest while the score will retain the 'real' rests.

Hope that's clear!