OT: Divisi, unison indications

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

gogreen
Finale Version: Finale 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by gogreen » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:01 pm

I'm working on a concert band score in which the flute, clarinet 2, alto saxophone, trumpet 2, and F horn parts occasionally divide--not enough to require divided parts on separate staffs. It seems a bit silly to indicate "div." and "unis." all over the score and parts on these staffs, sometimes for only one quarter note, when the intent of dividing and unison playing is obvious. I've indicated this all kinds of ways in my own scores, and I've never been completely happy with any solution yet.

I've seen some wind scores in which "div." and "unis." are indicated only once, but I think that might cause initial confusion and require explanation. To indicate nothing might also be confusing and raise questions. I've seen nothing on this in Gardner Read.

So is there an indication I could use in the score and parts that instructs players to divide as the music indicates?

"Div. and unis. as required"?
"Div. and unis. accordingly"?
"Div. and unis."?

And where would this indication best be placed? At the divisi's first instance? At the beginning of the staff in the score and parts? Below the staff name on the score and parts?

After reading this, I'm leaning toward "Div. and unis. accordingly" either at the beginning of the staff in the score and parts or at the first instance.

Anyone have a better way?
Art
Finale 27
NotePerformer, GPO5, COMB2
MacOS Ventura 13.6.4
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BRHBTHT/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=%22Arthur+J.+Michaels%22&qid=1593016536&sr=8-2

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:52 pm

String players see this all the time, but in that case divisi and uniti are used where the players play different notes rather than everyone using double stops. I think in your case you could get away without writing anything, actually, since there's no question of one player being able to play two notes--there's no choice but to divide. But an explanatation at the beginning couldn't hurt.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:46 pm

I'd mark all divisis (div.), the only exceptions being another in the same measure or one in the very next measure.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3

Post by ebiggs1 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:53 pm

Another point, depends on just whom you are writing for. I do mostly MS & HS and amerture musicians. In that case I indicate every single one. Not only that I make all notations as clear as possible. Even redundant ones.

If it was for the Fountain City Brass Band, I do it differently.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26

Post by Michel R E » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:55 pm

an option (which I've had occasion to use a few times) might also be to have the measures where you have those intermittent divisis use separate stems. Although to be fair, in my case it was more intermittent unisons that required this notation.
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.

gogreen
Finale Version: Finale 26.3

Post by gogreen » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:34 pm

I will probably go either with a direction at the beginning and skip all the divisi and unison markings throughout the score and parts, or marking all divisis except others in the same measure or those in the very next measure. I'm just not finished wrestling with this. Thanks, all.
Art
Finale 27
NotePerformer, GPO5, COMB2
MacOS Ventura 13.6.4
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BRHBTHT/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=%22Arthur+J.+Michaels%22&qid=1593016536&sr=8-2