Better way to do this ?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Arturo
Finale Version: Finale 25.5, Mojave
Operating System: Mac

Post by Arturo » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:15 pm

Hi,
I'm wonder if there's a better way to do this? I think I have no choice but If someone has an idea it would save me a huge amount of time.
I have a full score quartet where the staff size of 1 instrument is 100 percent, the other 3 instruments are 75 percent, I need to create 3 more scores with 100 percent size in one of the other instruments and 75 percent in the other 3.
If I do this with "tools, "size, "staff size 100, the notes get too close obviously because now they are bigger, so I need to move them manually and sync with the other instruments….
I can't apply note spacing because in most cases they were manually moved….
Thanks in advance !

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:51 pm

How were the notes "manually moved"? If you used the Special Tools > Note Position Tool, you can still use music spacing. Just be sure the Spacing Options say "Manual Positioning: Ignore". If you manually positioned using the "Beat Charts", a not so flexible choice, your spacing will be ruined, as you state.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:54 pm

An idea:

1) Set all four staves to 100 % size.
To do so, consider setting the 100 % size in Document menu > Page Format > Score…, and then use the Page Layout Tool to Redefine Pages (all pages).
Apply Music Spacing, and Update Layout.
Adjust the layout as needed.
You may need to have fewer measures in each system (= more systems), because of the bigger notes.

2) Lock all systems.

3) Reduce the staff size to 75 % for all the four staves.
Again, you can use {Page Format for Score}, and {Redefine Pages}.
Since all systems are locked, the smaller staff size will cause a horizontal note spacing that looks wider.

4) Increase the staff size for a single staff to 100 %.
Now the single, 100 %, staff will return to “normal” note spacing, while the other three staves will retain their “wider” spacing.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Arturo
Finale Version: Finale 25.5, Mojave

Post by Arturo » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:21 pm

Thanks but I can't apply note spacing and also there aren't measures in this particular score...
Peter Thomsen wrote:An idea:

1) Set all four staves to 100 % size.
To do so, consider setting the 100 % size in Document menu > Page Format > Score…, and then use the Page Layout Tool to Redefine Pages (all pages).
Apply Music Spacing, and Update Layout.
Adjust the layout as needed.
You may need to have fewer measures in each system (= more systems), because of the bigger notes.

2) Lock all systems.

3) Reduce the staff size to 75 % for all the four staves.
Again, you can use {Page Format for Score}, and {Redefine Pages}.
Since all systems are locked, the smaller staff size will cause a horizontal note spacing that looks wider.

4) Increase the staff size for a single staff to 100 %.
Now the single, 100 %, staff will return to “normal” note spacing, while the other three staves will retain their “wider” spacing.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:08 pm

It might be helpful if you could post a PDF of one page of the score where you have issues with the crowding. Or even a one page Finale file. Not sure what you mean by "no measures" but I can guess. The fact is Finale always has "measures" and this may point to a possible solution, like a different spacing library that may make manual adjusting unnecessary.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3