page layout - how to space evenly vertically?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jzucker
Finale Version: V25 on windows 10 64
Operating System: Windows

Post by jzucker » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:45 am

I resized my title page so that there is a specific margin between the title and the first system but how do I apply that same spacing to all pages? Starting on page 2, the music is positioned closer to the top of the score and the title cuts through the first system.

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by David Ward » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:28 pm

There may be another way, but one way of doing it would be, when in the Page Layout tool, to click within the first system on each page in turn (but not on the margin lines or handles, which would have a different effect) then hold the click and drag down by the required amount. Other systems on the page below the first will move down in sympathy, so don't over do it.

There may be a way of doing it for all the first systems of pages in one go, but I've never tried, so am not sure. (One can, though, easily change ALL system margins from a given system to the end of a piece, but that's probably not what you want.)
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

jzucker

Post by jzucker » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:46 pm

Thanks, yeah I know how to drag them manually but I want to apply the exact same layout on every page with applying some type of layout to all pages. The margins are already the same on each page so I'm not sure what additional metadata causes page 2 and beyond to be higher.
finale.jpg
finale.jpg (50.32 KiB) Viewed 2868 times

jzucker

Post by jzucker » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:07 pm

figured out how to do it. it takes 2 steps

1) Set margins in document->page format->score. This only effects new pages. To apply to existing pages:
2) Page Layout->Redefine pages->all pages of current part/score

SMS
Finale Version: 2012

Post by SMS » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:56 pm

You can also do that by right clicking on the 'grab box' for the margin, select which pages you want to affect, then adjust the margin by dragging the grab box.

I set up my templates with a larger top margin on page 1 to allow for title, etc. because it allows me to then adjust all systems at once for consistent spacing.

Your initial question was how to space systems evenly. By setting the margins independently where you actually need them (for instance in your attached example, below the headers on the first and subsequent pages), you can then use PageLayout>Systems>Edit Margins, Select All systems and adjust them all at once. I frequently use a slight reduction on page one so to compensate for the title, etc.
Finale 27.3
Mac OS 14
MacBook Pro 2023
M2 MAX
64 GB ram
4TB internal SSD