Linked parts text options

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

JCheyne
Finale Version: 2014d
Operating System: Mac

Post by JCheyne » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:27 pm

Is there a way to give text in linked parts different attributes from text in the score?

Examples:
•Tempo markings. When the font size is set for good readability on a 17-staff score, the font size is too large for a 10-stave linked part.

•Text blocks. Again, text blocks designed for readability on the score might not be the best choice for a linked part.

I like the way Finale's measure number feature addresses this, with different options for the score and for the linked parts.

I know there are work-arounds, but I'm hoping (or wishing, or suggesting a new feature) that it can be done through Finale as designed.

Thanks.

Finale 25.3.0.276
Mac OS X 10.11.6

thomsmit57
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by thomsmit57 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:34 pm

Hi JCheyne,

If there IS a way, I'd like to hear it too.
Even though I think linked parts are a huge benefit, and I love em, there are always elements in a score that are just not going to look right when rendered in a part from that score. Then you're editing, linking, unlinking, enlarging, making concessions that might have looked good in the score, but now that they're changed they don't look quite as good, and so on.

My answer to this over the years has to been to meticulously edit and polish my score until I'm sure I'm satisfied. At least at that point in time. (all notes are correct, no collisions, etc. etc.)
After I've printed and looked over my score on paper and am satisfied, I then create a duplicate copy of the score and label it (Score)PARTS.musx
Now I'm not worried about what the score will look like, because I'm not printing it, I'm working on what the parts need to look like. This is the time that I take to fiddle with all those things that you mentioned that were fine in the score but either a) aren't needed, or b) just don't look right in the part.
I feel like even though I now have two files, at least I don't have 15, or 22, or however many. And my Score remains untouched. And I'm getting the parts to look exactly how I want them, with no worries of messing up my beautiful score.
Just my two cents.
Guitarist, Composer, Arranger, Publisher, Engraver
Finale 27.4
iMac 27" running Big Sur 11.6
Logic Pro 10.7, Korg M1 (vintage 1980s)
www.thomasmithmusic.com

JCheyne

Post by JCheyne » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:20 pm

thomsmit57:

Duplicating a finished score and reformatting it used to be my approach, too, even before the linked parts option was available.

The linked parts option was a huge step forward, especially when the composer/arranger (me) is constantly tweaking the piece.

By the way, a couple of months ago, I was thinking a new approach to hairpins was in order, and the last update dealt with that, so here's to positive thinking.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:58 pm

Another way to approach this is to use the staff lists to assign the score expression to the score only and the part expression to the parts only. There are 8 staff lists - use 1-4 for the score and 5-8 for the parts. You'd have to have separate categories for score text and parts text, but if you add them to your default document, you only have to do it once.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:09 pm

I use duplicates of text and show where needed and hide where needed. For some situations, merely dragging off the page where not needed works.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

gogreen
Finale Version: Finale 26.3

Post by gogreen » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:38 pm

For text markings and text blocks, try fixed sizes. In this way, text won't appear garish in the parts.
Art
Finale 27
NotePerformer, GPO5, COMB2
MacOS Ventura 13.6.4
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BRHBTHT/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=%22Arthur+J.+Michaels%22&qid=1593016536&sr=8-2

JCheyne

Post by JCheyne » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:04 pm

For expressions attached to positions in the music, the score list approach is what I was looking for.
Thank you, N Grossining.

For consistent font sizes across documents with different page reductions, the fixed text size is what I needed.
Thank you gogreen (which I’m assuming is MSU).

For other page elements that need to appear in either score or linked parts, but not both, I’ve just learned about dragging elements off of the pages that don’t need them.
Thank you Zuill.