Increase space before music?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:56 pm

I might have gone snow blind to all the Document Options, but I want to increase the space between "the first note/rest of a system" and "everything that precedes it", e.g. clef, key, time sig.

There's an option for space after time Key sig; space after Key Sig; space after clef; also space before each of those and space between each one of those.

Am I missing something obvious, or do I have to increase the space after these items and then set a negative value for the space between these items? Seems like it might have unforeseen consequences....

There's "Spacing Before Music" in Notes & Rests, but that affects every measure, rather than just the first in each system.

Any thoughts?

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:42 pm

Sounds like you need to increase the space after the key signature. That will provide a uniform look regardless of the key, except when there is no key signature present. Then, as usual, the initial notes are way too close to the clef. There should be an "extra space when in CM, Am or keyless", but that sadly has never been implemented. If the entire file is keyless, you can add space after the clef on a global basis.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:11 pm

I'm not sure I understand, but there is Document Options / Notes and Rests / Spacing Before Music. This can also be controlled on an individual measure basis with the spacing handles in the Measure tool.

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:30 pm

N Grossingink wrote:Sounds like you need to increase the space after the key signature.
Except for when there's time sig afterwards, in which case, I'll need to compensate for the extra distance by bringing the time sig closer to the key, and then match the increased distance after!
motet wrote:I'm not sure I understand, but there is Document Options / Notes and Rests / Spacing Before Music. This can also be controlled on an individual measure basis with the spacing handles in the Measure tool.
As said, that affects every measure, not just the first of each system. Using the Spacing Handles will just bunch up the first beat.

I happened to look at a few "old school" engravings, and noticed that the distance varied somewhat. Mostly, it was to increase the distance when the first note was on the end of a tie or slur, or if it had an accidental. I thought a slightly wider gap - 8pts instead of 6 - might be an nice general effect.

motet

Post by motet » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:50 pm

BuonTempi wrote:Using the Spacing Handles will just bunch up the first beat.
I'm probably not understanding what you want, but are you respacing the measure after using the handle?
Attachments
0246.png
0246.png (148.33 KiB) Viewed 4730 times

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:52 pm

If you want extra space and a wider tie at the start of a system, adjust the following setting. There is an identical setting in the slur options as well. The larger the negative number, the more space allotted.

N.
XtraSpaceTies.png
XtraSpaceTies.png (107.97 KiB) Viewed 4719 times
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:49 am

Thank, N, but from what I've seen those settings make the tie start earlier, but don't add any extra space. So if you make the setting big enough, the tie/slur will hit the key sig.
motet wrote:
BuonTempi wrote:Using the Spacing Handles will just bunch up the first beat.
I'm probably not understanding what you want, but are you respacing the measure after using the handle?
Ah, I see what you're doing now. However, I don't want to have to do that to every system.

I guess the answer is "No, there isn't another way." I'll try an do the maths for all the spacings before, between, and behind. If not, I'll just leave it as it is. Might be worth a feature request, I suppose.

Thanks for all your thoughts.

motet

Post by motet » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:23 pm

What is it you're objecting to at the start of the system? I've never noticed a problem.

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:32 pm

motet wrote:What is it you're objecting to at the start of the system? I've never noticed a problem.
Not a problem, but merely perhaps a slightly more defined demarcation. Just idle tinkering, and wondering if it was more easily accomplished than I could fathom.

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:42 am

One more thing to add here:

There are options to add space for Ties and Accidentals at the start of a measure. Initially, I thought they didn't actually do anything, but of course you have to respace to see the effect. More importantly, they affect every measure, not just the first of a system.