Add Cue Notes plugin strangeness

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

JCheyne
Finale Version: 2014d
Operating System: Mac

Post by JCheyne » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:31 am

In the attached example, you’ll see that the Add Cue Notes plugin has resulted in some strangeness.

The Solo Horn line is cued in the Flugelhorn and Concert lines using the Add Cue Notes plugin.

The source notes and markings in the Solo Horn part are in Layer 1 at 100%. The cued notes in the target parts are in Layer 4 at 75%. These settings are assigned through the plugin.

Dynamics assigned to the target part vary between 100% and 75% in a strange way. If the expression is on the down beat, it shows at 100%, but it shows at 75% any place else in the measure. These dynamics are not copied over as part of the Add Cue Notes plugin. They are put in manually.

If the target staff is the top staff (notice the "Concert" staff), tempo expressions exhibit the same behavior; those assigned to the downbeat (Tempo category) show at full size, but those assigned to the horizontal click position (Tempo Alterations category) get reduced along with the cue notes.

Also, these tempo reductions happen only when Layer 4 is visible, but notice what happens to downbeat dynamics when Layer 4 is the only visible layer.

The linked parts behave the same way.

I would like the cued part’s dynamics and “S.Hn.” tag to be sized at 75% with the cued notes, but I would like the Tempo markings to show at 100% on the score and on the linked parts.

What's gone wrong here? I've been dealing with this for the last few iterations of Finale.

Thanks!

Finale 25.3.0.276
Mac OS X 10.11.6
Attachments
AddCueNotes.musx
(89.46 KiB) Downloaded 145 times

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:28 am

Yeah, when expressions were redone (many years ago now) they didn't bother to update the Cue Notes plug-in. It's kind of scandalous it's in such a state.

The solution is to change the "assignment" of the expressions. The expressions belonging to the cue notes should be assigned to layer 4; tempo marks and alterations should be assigned to layer 1. The default is "all layers"; the reason that things on beat one are full size is that they're scaled to the whole rest in layer one. Since there's nothing on the other beats, things assigned there will assume layer 4's scaling if there's something on that beat. I think you can get away with changing assignment of dynamics in cues that are on beat 1 to "layer 4," and tempo marks/alterations that are on other than beat 1 to "layer 1." The others you can leave alone.

Cue labels (instrument names) on beat 1 will be too big because they are sized to be normal when scaled by 75%. But because of that whole rest, they don't get resized. The solution is to again change their assignment to layer 4.

JCheyne

Post by JCheyne » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:50 am

motet:

Okay, I've found that I can reassign elements to specific layers through a contextual menu, which is tedious but useful. This is new to me. Thanks for that.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:20 am

JCheyne wrote:motet:

Okay, I've found that I can reassign elements to specific layers through a contextual menu, which is tedious but useful. This is new to me. Thanks for that.
If the JW Change plug-in will run on your system, that can maybe help.

JCheyne

Post by JCheyne » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:08 pm

Yes, I've recently (4 days ago) installed the JW plugins (64-bit), but haven't had a chance to do much with them yet. There's a ton of stuff in there.

I've also just discovered the support pages for the plugins.

I have some work to do to get up to speed.

Thanks for the tip.