Finale says I am unregistered...

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

gary-duane
Finale Version: Finale 2012
Operating System: Windows

Post by gary-duane » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:18 am

I have used Finale for decades, and I'm still using Finale 2012. 2012 is as solid as a rock for me, and I don't even like the newer version.

But now I can't open a musx file sent to me from a friend. I'm getting a screen that says:

Finale's 30 day trial period as elapsed.

I BOUGHT THE PROGRAM.

I can't tell you guys how angry this makes me.

I was going to join the forum around that time but there was a message on the forum that it was going to be closed. Is this a new forum, or a continuation of the old forum?

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:22 am

This is a new forum, independent from MakeMusic.

Have you authorized your copy of Finale 25? You need to do that. There's "Authorize Finale" in the Help menu. You'll need a valid serial number for Finale 25.

What don't you like about the new version? It has many new features, and is faster. Though the experience should be broadly the same.

johnmouse
Finale Version: 27

Post by johnmouse » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:20 am

This is a known problem with Finale 25. Open the file from within Finale, not externally (double click method).

gogreen
Finale Version: Finale 26.3

Post by gogreen » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:37 pm

Did you perform the recent Windows 10 update? The update caused my losing registration of Finale 25.3. I live-chatted with MM and they fixed it. MM provided no explanation, but they did fix it. By the way, there was no answer when I called the phone number in the registration window that initially popped up. I told MM about it, and their response was that, yes, the phone number needs to be removed.
Art
Finale 27
NotePerformer, GPO5, COMB2
MacOS Ventura 13.6.4
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BRHBTHT/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=%22Arthur+J.+Michaels%22&qid=1593016536&sr=8-2

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:42 pm

You can now manage your authorizations in "My Account" on MakeMusic's website, enabling you to delete authorizations that can't be de-authorized locally.

MikeHalloran

Post by MikeHalloran » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:48 pm

BuonTempi wrote:You can now manage your authorizations in "My Account" on MakeMusic's website, enabling you to delete authorizations that can't be de-authorized locally.
It's a Windows 10 issue with the MM license server. Follow the above advice to get going again. MM knows about it — that's the work around. Until it's fixed, you will have to do it every time Win10 updates.

If your serial number and Finale 25 aren't listed in your account, you didn't do something right or used the wrong browser.

Chrome has an issue with license updates—it works fine otherwise. If you have an update code and aren't properly registered, use IE or FireFox.

If you are properly listed and still can't make it work, go to the official support link and let MM know.
I can't tell you guys how angry this makes me
Understandable but this is a user support board. As you know, the old forum is closed. The new official support board is here:
https://makemusic.zendesk.com/

Yes, it leaves a lot to be desired but MM techs do show up now and then. The top of the page is where you can submit issues directly to MM. You would have gotten these same answers there—possible from some of the same people.
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.3, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 13.2.1; 2017 iMac Pro 18 Core, 128G RAM, 4TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer3, Dorico 4, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro

gary-duane

Post by gary-duane » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:01 pm

Thanks to all who replied.

I have been in contact with Finale. No one there mentioned a problem with Windows. So information here is already more helpful.

I am not asking for support USING the program because I have no issues.

I have not used the new Finale because my work makes it critical to have the program working at all times.

If I had updated my old files to the new Finale, I would be screwed, because they would all be inaccessible. I would not be able to open or print them, and this would literally destroy my job. I am a teacher.

gary-duane

Post by gary-duane » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:17 pm

gogreen wrote:Did you perform the recent Windows 10 update? The update caused my losing registration of Finale 25.3. I live-chatted with MM and they fixed it. MM provided no explanation, but they did fix it. By the way, there was no answer when I called the phone number in the registration window that initially popped up. I told MM about it, and their response was that, yes, the phone number needs to be removed.
No, I have not done the latest Win 10 update. Every update has screwed up something important.

Let me repeat that Finale2012 continues to work perfectly.

gary-duane

Post by gary-duane » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:22 pm

BuonTempi wrote:This is a new forum, independent from MakeMusic.

Have you authorized your copy of Finale 25? You need to do that. There's "Authorize Finale" in the Help menu. You'll need a valid serial number for Finale 25.

What don't you like about the new version? It has many new features, and is faster. Though the experience should be broadly the same.
I immediately registered new Finale in December. It worked then.

I have not used it since then because it does NOTHING better for me. I teach piano. I've written my own method with Finale. Years ago people from Finale told me that as far as they knew I was the first they'd heard of doing this.

I open and print dozens of pages every day while teaching. If I were using the new version of Finale, my job would be destroyed.

gary-duane

Post by gary-duane » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:27 pm

MikeHalloran wrote: Understandable but this is a user support board. As you know, the old forum is closed. The new official support board is here:
https://makemusic.zendesk.com/
Really, Mike, I don't know of any of this. I have never needed support before.
Yes, it leaves a lot to be desired but MM techs do show up now and then. The top of the page is where you can submit issues directly to MM. You would have gotten these same answers there—possible from some of the same people.
I probably came here for moral support.

Let me repeat: I have used Finale for two decades. If I knew that Finale 2012 would continue to work indefinitely, I would simply use it and throw away the new version.

But a friend of mine asked for help, and I can't open her file.

MikeHalloran

Post by MikeHalloran » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:42 am

Let me repeat: I have used Finale for two decades.
So? A few of us are in that boat, myself included.
If I knew that Finale 2012 would continue to work indefinitely...
Yea, right. It looks like you collaborate with others. 2012 is not the ideal tool for that anymore. It apparently works better for Windows users than on the Mac. Things change.

You can save 25 files as .mus backwards compatible with 2012. These will not open in 2011 or earlier. For that, one needs to export as MusicXML. If doing that, it is recommended that Finale 2009–2014.5 users install the Dolet plugin (its functionality is part of 25).
http://www.musicxml.com/dolet-plugin/do ... or-finale/
I have been in contact with Finale. No one there mentioned a problem with Windows.
There are lengthy posts all over the internet including Microsoft forums. Here's MM's article on this.
https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... n-products
Mike Halloran

gary-duane

Post by gary-duane » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:46 am

MikeHalloran wrote: Yea, right. It looks like you collaborate with others. 2012 is not the ideal tool for that anymore. It apparently works better for Windows users than on the Mac. Things change.
Normally I do not. This is the only time someone sent me a file with a specific request to help her use the program. Other than that I only use Finale for my own work, for teaching, which for me includes printing out dozens of pages each day for my students on an "as needed basis".

So for me, personally, I would be perfectly fine continuing with 2012, but sooner or later changes in Windows makes older program versions no longer usable. So I'm trying to sort that out now, before it is too late.

I would immediately switch to the latest version and use it except for the problem of being locked out. You guys apparently know all about this, but it has never happened to me before. Apologies for not being the sharpest guy around, but I'm pushing 70 REALLY fast and my strength is not dealing with computer problems.
You can save 25 files as .mus backwards compatible with 2012. These will not open in 2011 or earlier. For that, one needs to export as MusicXML. If doing that, it is recommended that Finale 2009–2014.5 users install the Dolet plugin (its functionality is part of 25).
http://www.musicxml.com/dolet-plugin/do ... or-finale/
That all looks like Chinese to me. My needs are really simple. I just need the program to work so that I can edit my files and print. I've read about horror stories from many people about Windows Update problems, but this is the first time for me, with any program.
There are lengthy posts all over the internet including Microsoft forums. Here's MM's article on this.
https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... n-products
I just sent myself a link to this site and will try this next. My "support" is my wife, who is almost as old as I am, so maybe between the two of us we can figure it out.

This is all new to me. I have not had to be connected to the Net in the past to register or authorize a program. I know that I did it back in December of 2016, but I frankly don't remember where I got the authorization or how I did it. For me a break of six months means starting from scratch. I'm used to installing programs and just entering the license or code. But for this program I've been mailed a small jump-drive, which I assume (hope) works fine, but the problem seems to be that the program is fully installed but just not recognizing that it is registered.

Honestly, am I the only person who is frustrated by what is going on? If I lose the ability to print out my own files and as a result lose students, why shouldn't I be upset?

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:21 pm

gary-duane,

We're all really sorry that you're having these problems. But you need to understand that we are trying to help. We're not in charge of Windows, or Finale. We can't control what they do, or don't do.

Where do you live? Maybe there is someone in your location who could give you some hands-on help.

And just as a BTW, many of us are pushing (or pulling) 70.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

MikeHalloran

Post by MikeHalloran » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:50 pm

Yea, a few of us youngsters are only in our mid-60s. :?
Mike Halloran

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:51 pm

gary-duane wrote:I would be perfectly fine continuing with 2012, but sooner or later changes in Windows makes older program versions no longer usable.
I've still got Finale 2005 installed and it works fine, so if you like Finale 2012, the fact that it's older should not probably be a consideration. In fact, I've got even older Windows software that still works.

gary-duane

Post by gary-duane » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:32 am

miker wrote:gary-duane,

We're all really sorry that you're having these problems. But you need to understand that we are trying to help. We're not in charge of Windows, or Finale. We can't control what they do, or don't do.

Where do you live? Maybe there is someone in your location who could give you some hands-on help.

And just as a BTW, many of us are pushing (or pulling) 70.
Miker, I finally got it sorted out. I was going through a ton of crisis-like stuff at home that was way more important, so I just continued to use Finale 2012.

It appears that the problem was indeed Windows Updates. I could not face the possibility of slamming my head against yet another unsolvable problem, but my wife finally located the correct registration, and reentering it in administrator mode brought it back. No idea why that was necessary, since all the information that I put in the first time was all there. But it works again.

The very latest "Creative Windows 10" update did all sorts of weird things, including instantly disabling the brightness control on my laptop. I just went through this today. But at least my program works again.

Though I have to say that it is ironic that Finale 2012 has remained 100% stable through all the Win10 problems.

gary-duane

Post by gary-duane » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:35 am

To everyone who replied:

Many thanks to each one of you. Hopefully I can now be of hope to other people instead of a problem here. :)

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:21 pm

Gary,
We're glad you got it sorted out!
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

MikeHalloran

Post by MikeHalloran » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:54 pm

miker wrote:Gary,
Indeed! And thanks for the update.
Mike Halloran

gary-duane

Post by gary-duane » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:47 am

miker wrote:Gary,
Many thanks, Miker, and to be honest it all appears to be a Win10 problem.

I loathe Windows 10.

My wife and I have been getting warnings about "updating" to "Creative", the newest plague from Microsoft, and because sooner or later it becomes almost impossible to ignore these updates (because eventually they just do it without permission), I decided to get it over with.

(We both have computers, also my stepson, also my three grandkids. At least 6 computers going all the time.)

Out went Finale again, but this time I knew what to do and reauthorized in a couple minutes. But the update:

1. Move icons all over the place on my desktop.
2. Redefined windows (not a problem but a pain.)
3. Absolutely trashed my graphic card's drivers to the point where the brightness on the screen was not even adjustable, which took about two hours to get working again.

And I keep finding more things changed...

But Finale is working fine. :)

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26

Post by Michel R E » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:43 pm

Gary-Duane:

A suggestion I might make, you mentioned earlier updating all your old Finale files and being stuck if nothing works in Finale 25.

I never just update all my old files. I always create a new directory with the older files copied into a new directory.
For example, I still use Finale 2012 for certain things. However, I've installed and use Finale 25 for most of my projects now.

I have a "Finale 2012 files" directory, and an almost identical "Finale 25 files" directory. The files in the latter get opened in Finale 25, and updated. The files in the former only ever get opened in Finale 2012. All I did was copy all the contents (files and subfolders, etc...) of the "Finale 2012 files" folder into the new "Finale 25" directory.

This saves a LOT of headaches.
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.

motet

Post by motet » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:32 pm

I have a lot of Finale 2005 files and I still use Finale 2005 if I have to fix a mistake. When Finale 2005 stops working I will have to convert, but for now it saves boring and needless work.

gary-duane

Post by gary-duane » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:43 am

motet wrote:I have a lot of Finale 2005 files and I still use Finale 2005 if I have to fix a mistake. When Finale 2005 stops working I will have to convert, but for now it saves boring and needless work.
My only major problem with the new Finale is really hard to explain.

In my work I open up dozens of files in almost zero time, and I have them all in folders that are "graded". So, for example, if I'm in my H folder, I have a list of things in that folder that are perfect for students on that level, and I eyeball what I've already presented. Obviously I can go anywhere else, so I might go into a Chopin folder for an advanced student and open and etude. I can immediately see what my latest version is, click on the file, and open it.

To go through the program is around 100 times slower. Then I have open the program, go to a directory, find the folder, sub-folder, open a file, then a moment later I have to go through the same process.

So I always click on the file.

Windows 10 will not allow me the choice of which exe file I want to associate with the file names. The moment I installed the latest Finale, if found the exe program marked "finale.exe" for the new program. But Finale 2012 has the same exe file, same name. System can't tell the difference. I could not get the association back with Finale 2012 without deleting new Finale.

Obviously horrible for me.

I jury-rigged a solution by renaming the new Finale.exe to Finale2016.exe. I expected that to blow up my computer, or blow smoke out the side, but it actually works. I think something I don't need may not work, but it functions as much as I need it AND allows me to open up my old files by clicking on them.

I forget what happens if I click on xmus files. It may not work, but I haven't saved anything that way. But I can open xmus files through the program, and that allows me to function as usual.

My irritation, now minor: because Finale keeps renaming the exe file under the newer programs with the same default name, you can't get Windows to associate with both exe files and open up either one with the preferred program.

(That may not even be doable, but would be nice.)

So when I suddenly could not use the new program, I figured Big Brother scanned my system somehow, saw a bogus name for the exe file and turned off Finale. That was where my anger was coming from.

But apparently it was Windows10 updating itself. The latest was that the Windows Creative update blew out my graphics drivers - I had to spend a couple yours reinstalling them.

motet

Post by motet » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:55 pm

I don't have Windows 10. Are you saying that right-clicking, picking "open with...", and checking "always open with this" doesn't work?

At least in previous versions of Finale, MakeMusic did something wonky at installation with file associations that the above couldn't fix. The solution is a free utility from Nirsoft called FileTypesMan. You might try that.

gary-duane

Post by gary-duane » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:59 am

motet wrote:I don't have Windows 10. Are you saying that right-clicking, picking "open with...", and checking "always open with this" doesn't work?

At least in previous versions of Finale, MakeMusic did something wonky at installation with file associations that the above couldn't fix. The solution is a free utility from Nirsoft called FileTypesMan. You might try that.
That's it exactly. I use that method for everything else I use, but the system was confusing the old exe and the newer one, both with the same name - finale.exe.

I changed the newer one to Finale2016.exe. I expected that to crash the program. I was just trying to get Windows to find Finale 2012 and associate it. But it did the trick, and the latest version still works. That's good enough for me because I won't change to Finale as it is now until a couple more years go by and I'm dead sure it won't give me problems.

No problems so far except the screen telling me my trial period expired, which frankly just ticked me off.

But the frustrating problem is that I talk to someone at Make Music, and the guy was clueless about what I was saying. I'm not computer wizard, but the idea of naming a newer version of a program with the same name is not the brightest.

That said, very impressive that ancient versions of Finale still work.