FinaleMaestro?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Harpsi
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by Harpsi » Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:07 am

Just found this:

https://usermanuals-staging-finalemusic ... o_Font.htm

It says:
Finale 2016 introduced FinaleMaestro, an updated and expanded Unicode-compliant version of the standard Maestro font used in default Finale documents. FinaleMaestro conforms to SMuFL version 1.0, a specification for standardized music font layouts that utilizes the Unicode Private Use Areas.
Do you know anything about this? Is it possible to get this font somehow?
Finale 2014.5, Finale 25, Dorico 4, Musescore 4
Windows 11

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:23 am

From the look of the URL, you've stumbled on some pre-release documentation that might not be accurate or complete. :o

It's no secret that MM has been involved in the SMuFL spec, and that it plans to implement SMuFL in Finale in the future. So Finale-SMuFL fonts are inevitable.

One of the great advantages of SMuFL is that the software can be smart about symbols. Currently, all articulations are just meaningless shapes to Finale. With SMuFL, Finale will be able to know that U+E4C0 is a Fermata, and so it can be applied to a rest, whereas U+E4A0, an accent, cannot. That's going to enable many improvements.

Harpsi

Post by Harpsi » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:54 am

Aha, I see, you are right of course.

So the Maestro that ships with Finale 25 is still not SMUFL compliant then?
Windows 11

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:01 am

Harpsi wrote:So the Maestro that ships with Finale 25 is still not SMUFL compliant then?
It's the same Maestro that it's been for ten years or so. There was a revision for a tremolo glyph bug in about 2006, I think. But apart from that, it's been untouched, as far as I can tell.
Last edited by BuonTempi on Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Harpsi

Post by Harpsi » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:26 am

Thanks for the information!
Windows 11

MikeHalloran
Finale Version: 27

Post by MikeHalloran » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:39 pm

The version of Maestro that installed with Finale 2011 is 1.0 and has a copyright date of 1999.

The version that ships with the latest build of 25 is version 1.2 and has a copyright date of December 2016.

On a Mac, if the 25 installer sees the older version in Font Book, it will not enable 1.2 which it sees as a duplicate. Move your cursor over the enabled font and it will reveal the version.

This is easily fixed a number of ways. If you see both, disable 1.0 first, then enable the other. You should now see that it is 1.2.

If only one is installed and it's not 1.2, send it to the Trash (don't empty yet). You can also open Library/Fonts to find Maestro.suit — if it's not there, look in (user)/Library/Fonts and just remove it.

Now go the Applications/Finale/Contents/Resources. Find Maestro double-click to open and click on Install. It will show some minor errors (all specialty fonts do) click and agree to install.

You can rescue the older version from the Trash if you like but don't reinstall. The MacOS, since 10.7 does not allow duplicate fonts.

How/why does this happen? Many fonts written or compiled before 2012 (or done ignoring the current Apple Toolkit) do not have the flags that installers look for when installing newer versions of an application. Most font problems in 25 are traceable to this fact. This problem is not unique to Finale.

I've written before how to make certain that you are using only the latest versions of the Finale fonts on a Mac. I can find and repost if necessary.
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.3, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 13.2.1; 2017 iMac Pro 18 Core, 128G RAM, 4TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer3, Dorico 4, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:16 pm

Jees, Mike, do you have to do this every time fonts are even mentioned?
MikeHalloran wrote:The version of Maestro that installed with Finale 2011 is 1.0 and has a copyright date of 1999.
The version that ships with the latest build of 25 is version 1.2 and has a copyright date of December 2016.
No, the version that is installed by the 25 installer into /Library/Fonts is still version 1.0, dated 1999. © Coda Music Technology. The 1.2 version is the one you've fished out of the bundle, which is otherwise not used by the OS (because the app's Info.plist lacks the relevant dictionary key), but used by Finale only to package with ebooks.
MikeHalloran wrote:Many fonts written or compiled before 2012 (or done ignoring the current Apple Toolkit) do not have the flags that installers look for when installing newer versions of an application. Most font problems in 25 are traceable to this fact.
Citation required. What flags? What do they look for and why? (Finale's TT font installer contains a shell script to delete PS versions of fonts. Why look for flags?) What changed in 2012? What problems are caused? What Apple Toolkit has anything to do with font creation?
I will continue to question you every time you post this, because if you can provide evidence, then I'm happy to learn. But if you can't, as you have so far failed to do, then I'm going to call you out on it, because I think you're unnecessarily confusing other users.

MikeHalloran

Post by MikeHalloran » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:52 pm

BuonTempi wrote:Jees, Mike, do you have to do this every time fonts are even mentioned?
Yes I do. Why? Because so many do not understand.

The OP asked a good question and received a number of incorrect answers. I gave the correct answer: MM released a new build of Maestro in 2016 — just like their blog post said — and then I explained how to make certain one has the current version. If they upgraded, they probably don't have that version.

AND I WILL DO IT AGAIN EVERY TIME PEOPLE GET WRONG ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS LIKE THESE.

Someone who knows the right answer should post it. Jees yourself.

Do you understand now?
Mike Halloran

Harpsi

Post by Harpsi » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:08 pm

Well, I am on Windows, so I must admit that I do not understand so much about the font handling on OSX.
Anyway, the Maestro fonts installed on my system are version 1.0 and they are not SMUFL compliant. Probably there will be a font later on with the name as spelled in the source I quoted, FInaleMaestro, but apparently not yet.
Windows 11

MikeHalloran

Post by MikeHalloran » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:40 am

Harpsi wrote:Well, I am on Windows, so I must admit that I do not understand so much about the font handling on OSX.
Anyway, the Maestro fonts installed on my system are version 1.0 and they are not SMUFL compliant. Probably there will be a font later on with the name as spelled in the source I quoted, FInaleMaestro, but apparently not yet.
I have asked about FInaleMaestro but haven't heard back.

The MM blog doesn't say that the December 2016 font update was Mac only. 25.2 was released Dec. 2016. The Windows What's New does mention SMuFL handling in regards to Finale and MusicXML but is not specific. I did hear back that 25.2 for both Mac/Win contain Maestro.ttf 1.2.

It is possible that you have Maestro.ttf 1.2 but your system is not pointing to it. Although I know where to find it on a Mac, I haven't manned a Windows support desk since XP and things have changed.

I thought that MM would have the latest versions here but they don't. Both the Mac and Win versions of Maestro are 1.0 as this site was created March 2016. I've asked MM to update it with the latest versions of the fonts—let's see if they do.
https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... ncorrectly

My Windows machine is not capable of 64 bit so installing 25 won't work for me. I tried cracking the 25.3 Win installer but couldn't with the tools I have.

I do not know for certain that Maestro 1.2 is SMuFL compliant (or to what extent) but the announcement leads me to believe it is or at least compatible to handle .xml imports. I've asked and will post more when I know.
Mike Halloran