How to prevent lyrics from spacing notes

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

cowboypriest
Finale Version: 2008
Operating System: Windows

Post by cowboypriest » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:23 am

When I add lyrics, Finale increases the note spacing so that lyrics don't overlap multiple notes. That is as it should be. However, I have a specific need to permit a lyric word to overlap multiple notes without increasing the note spacing. How do I do that?

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:57 am

Go to Document Options > Music Spacing and uncheck "Avoid Collision of Lyrics". Respace only the measure(s) in question. You might want to do this after all lyrics have been entered and spaced out.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

cowboypriest

Post by cowboypriest » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:50 am

Excellent. Thank you for your response. I actually had done what you suggested already, but the notes remained spaced. However, after your suggestion, I realized I needed to also enter the measure with the Speedy Entry tool and then exit the measure so that the measure would re-space itself and remove the extra spacing. If that makes sense. Anyway, it's working now. Thank you.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:13 pm

cowboypriest wrote:… I realized I needed to also enter the measure with the Speedy Entry tool and then exit the measure so that the measure would re-space itself and remove the extra spacing …
It sounds like you have “Automatic Music Spacing” toggled on.
As you have found out, “Automatic Music Spacing” happens automatically, but only after certain actions.

However, you can also apply Music Spacing to a selected region “manually”, “un-automatically”:
Selection Tool.
Select the region you want to respace.
Utilities menu > Music Spacing > Apply Note Spacing to Current Part/Score

There is even a keyboard shortcut (shown in the sub-menu, something with the number 4 key)
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

cowboypriest

Post by cowboypriest » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:21 pm

Thank you.