Two glissando questions

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

cairnsz
Finale Version: Finale 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by cairnsz » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:20 am

I have two questions involving glissandos. (Finale 25, Win 7)

1) How do I get a glissando to play back for the full duration of the note? (If I write two whole notes with a glissando line between them, the gliss only occurs on the last beat or so of the initial whole note; I'd like it to do a slow gliss for the full four beats)

2) [more complicated] I'm working on a piece with quarter-tones. I have created expressions for the accidentals, and those use a pitchwheel setting to get the correct "in between" pitches. It looks and sounds fine.
BUT...
I would like to be able to gliss from one quarter-tone note to another quarter-tone note, and the pitchwheel setting seems to screw that up. (If I try to gliss between A-natural and B-quarter flat, the gliss overshoots the B-quarter flat by about a M2.) How can I create a gliss symbol that will play back between two "pitchwheeled" notes?

Thank you very much for any help!!
Zac

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:54 am

Try an expression with playback type Pitchwheel, and playback effect Execute Shape.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

engelbach
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by engelbach » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:44 pm

I have the same problem. The glis doesn't start until the first note plays all the way through. I don't want to have to create a new expression each glis in my score.
Jerry Engelbach
iMac OSX Catalina, Finale 26, Note Performer 4, Perfect Layout
www.engelbachmusic.com

engelbach
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by engelbach » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:47 pm

Okay, problem #1 solved.

The default on glissandos for some reason is to hold the first note for its full duration and then initiate the gliss for the duration of the second note. Stupid default, but easy to fix.

Go to Human Playback, either from HP Preferences in the Playback Controls pallet or from the menu Finale > Preferences > Human Playback.

Under Glissandi/Bends, uncheck Delay When Possible.

Glissandos will now play correctly.
Jerry Engelbach
iMac OSX Catalina, Finale 26, Note Performer 4, Perfect Layout
www.engelbachmusic.com