Keyless Option Still Adds Accidentals

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

ajanosa
Finale Version: 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by ajanosa » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:02 am

Hi all,

I'm completely dumbfounded by this issue and I'm hoping I'm glancing over something basic here. I'm attempting to write a score which is entirely keyless. I just want to add notes exactly as I input them (in this case, for a clarinet ensemble). The issue is, Finale is automatically adding accidentals (????) to make each instrument appear to play in concert pitch. For instance, Bb clarinets seem to have two hidden sharps, Eb clarinet 3, etc. So, even though no key signature is selected, every time I write a C in one of those parts, it writes as a C#. I just want to add notes in this very chromatic arrangement, without the program adding accidentals from a hidden key on me. Mind you I selected "keyless" while setting up the piece. Any advice here?

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:03 am

Welcome to the forum!

From your description it sounds like the solution for you is not choosing the keyless option, but rather setting each
Staff Transposition to Chromatic.

In that way (= with Chromatic transposition) the key signature can be C major in all staves.

I hope that this is clear?
If not, ask again.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by David Ward » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:44 am

But be aware that if you are entering the notes entirely via computer (ie no MIDI keyboard) that chromatic transposition can cause other problems. I don't immediately remember what these are, but I think they relate to accidentals when copying and pasting onto staves with a different transposition.
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6