Courtesy enharmonic

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

RMK
Finale Version: 25.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by RMK » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:26 pm

motet wrote:Point taken. In an orchestra, though, I guarantee it would result in wasted rehearsal time discussing it.
I would respectfully disagree with that statement.

In my experience leaving the enharmonic unremarked upon would lead a player to stop the rehearsal and ask whether the (second) note was actually correct. I put "(enhar.)" without the parens to indicate the note does not change, although the player may want to adjust intonation depending upon the context of the harmony.

The musician's training comes into play by understanding what an enharmonic is. I probably would not indicate it in this way for an amateur or student ensemble.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:33 pm

Point taken, but if the note is played and sounds OK, maybe there would not be a question. I was thinking more of the little note engendering discussion.

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:04 pm

RMK wrote:I put "(enhar.)" without the parens to indicate the note does not change…
I like that a lot.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

gary-duane
Finale Version: Finale 2012

Post by gary-duane » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:55 am

John Ruggero wrote:You just proved Schenker's point, gary-duane! Chopin DID put a single slur over almost the entire Etude op. 25 no. 2, and you were able to supply it even from the inaccurate Friedheim edition which leaves it out! But why don't you use a more authentic edition? It would make your life a little easier! (I would suggest the superb Wiener Urtext edited by Paul Badura-Skoda.)
To be honest, I avoid buying new scores unless I have to - running out of money. :)

I can't for the life of me figure out why editors change things. I change things all the time, for convenience or out of pure contrariness, but I always recommend going to the source, the best source we have. For instance, with someone like Debussy we can always go back the original editions of his Preludes.
gary-duane wrote:I find that by "copying" things that are important to me, the act of copying makes me see details that I would never in a million years see just reading the music.
Absolutely. Bach's students learned so much by copying out his music before they learned it, and we have lost something by having such easy access to printed music.
It can work either way, can't it? I don't miss writing things by hand any more than I miss having to write in longhand, but most people do not spend time thinking about how music should best look on the page, which is terribly important.

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5

Post by John Ruggero » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:22 pm

gary-duane wrote:To be honest, I avoid buying new scores unless I have to
gary-duane wrote:I always recommend going to the source, the best source we have.
Since you prefer the original sources, which is even better, you might check out an amazing Chopin site if you haven't:

http://www.chopinonline.ac.uk/ocve/

You can click on a single measure in any of the sources and all of original sources will be displayed for that measure side by side. I use it all the time.
gary-duane wrote:I can't for the life of me figure out why editors change things.
Because the original sources contain errors and may be in conflict. Unfortunately, this and modernization of the notation causes far too much tampering.
gary-duane wrote:It can work either way, can't it? I don't miss writing things by hand any more than I miss having to write in longhand, but most people do not spend time thinking about how music should best look on the page, which is terribly important.
I totally agree. Copying music by hand or on a computer is a really good way to get to know a piece of music. Maybe I should require my students to buy Finale and create their own edition of everything they are learning!
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."

gary-duane

Post by gary-duane » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:49 am

John Ruggero wrote:You just proved Schenker's point, gary-duane! Chopin DID put a single slur over almost the entire Etude op. 25 no. 2, and you were able to supply it even from the inaccurate Friedheim edition which leaves it out! But why don't you use a more authentic edition? It would make your life a little easier! (I would suggest the superb Wiener Urtext edited by Paul Badura-Skoda.)
gary-duane wrote:I find that by "copying" things that are important to me, the act of copying makes me see details that I would never in a million years see just reading the music.
Absolutely. Bach's students learned so much by copying out his music before they learned it, and we have lost something by having such easy access to printed music.
John, I thought I answered, but apparently not. Did it get lost in draft?

I have not bought a better edition simply because I am low on funds. :)

That said, there are such strong performance conventions that they seem to over-write the notation itself. A quick listen to any number of famous interpretations immediately makes it obvious that it is one continuous, flowing composition.

Strange that the reply I thought I wrote is not here. I mentioned starting out the "old-fashioned" way, writing every note by hand. Finale is an unbelievable Godsend for me. I can't believe now how long just writing out one page of music took, and how carefully I had to plan it out.

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:39 pm

Very strange, gary-duane. You responded to my next-to last-post twice, but seemed to miss my very last one. Oh, well. Time to move on, I guess.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

gary-duane

Post by gary-duane » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:46 am

John Ruggero wrote:Very strange, gary-duane. You responded to my next-to last-post twice, but seemed to miss my very last one. Oh, well. Time to move on, I guess.
No. I'm still new to this forum and did not see that there are pages way to the right. I missed page 2. <face palm>

gary-duane

Post by gary-duane » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:54 am

John Ruggero wrote: Since you prefer the original sources, which is even better, you might check out an amazing Chopin site if you haven't:

http://www.chopinonline.ac.uk/ocve/

You can click on a single measure in any of the sources and all of original sources will be displayed for that measure side by side. I use it all the time.
I'll check that out right now. That seems like an amazing source.
gary-duane wrote:I can't for the life of me figure out why editors change things.
John Ruggero wrote: Because the original sources contain errors and may be in conflict. Unfortunately, this and modernization of the notation causes far too much tampering.
I was talking about tampering. :)
John Ruggero wrote: I totally agree. Copying music by hand or on a computer is a really good way to get to know a piece of music. Maybe I should require my students to buy Finale and create their own edition of everything they are learning!
I would like every student of mine to have it, but of course I can't make anyone buy a program and explore. However, as I am working on things, I have good students look at my screen and help make decisions about things like pedaling and fingering, and also about cautionary accidentals.

For me it is important to remember that what seems most logical and therefor easiest may not be so for others, so it's all a work in progress. :)

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:36 pm

That explains it! :)

Glad you are enjoying the Chopin site. I was blown away by it when I first bumped into it. And I hope that you continue to contribute your ideas on this site. Your students are very lucky to have you as a teacher.
www.cantilenapress.com

gary-duane

Post by gary-duane » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:05 pm

John Ruggero wrote:That explains it! :)

Glad you are enjoying the Chopin site. I was blown away by it when I first bumped into it. And I hope that you continue to contribute your ideas on this site. Your students are very lucky to have you as a teacher.
Man, that site is a GOLD MINE!!!

For instance, I am mostly concerned about "changes" that become extremely misleading, throwing us off the scent. For example, the Chopin Ballade in F has unreasonably long phrases, and they are actually a bit ridiculous in that NO ONE could sing such a phrase or play it on a wind instrument. It presents a fluid, never-breaking flow the really can only work on piano - of on something like guitar.

If I remember correctly, Joseffy chopped them all up. That kind of thing drives me nuts.

In contrast, I have no argument at all when an editor chooses enharmonics to "rewrite" something, And example would be:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/24g2jfxre8z64 ... 0.png?dl=0

M28.

Even today, after so many years of reading music, those enharmonics would cause me to misread this the first time, and they totally throw my students for a loop.

I have no problems changing to F, C F7 then back to F#7 because it does not change the sound...

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:29 am

gary-duane wrote:the Chopin Ballade in F has unreasonably long phrases, and they are actually a bit ridiculous in that NO ONE could sing such a phrase or play it on a wind instrument. It presents a fluid, never-breaking flow the really can only work on piano - of on something like guitar.
As you correctly intuit, Chopin is using that slur (and all slurs) to mean legato and legato only. The best composers of the past never used slurs to show phrases since they had a higher opinion of performers than did editors like Joseffy and used markings only for things that might be misunderstood by an intelligent player. Phrasing didn't qualify because anyone can tell where most phrases begin and end by simply singing them. And if it isn't clear, it wasn't intended to be.

That spot in the Etude is notorious and often rewritten to help students. On the other hand, it's lots of fun too!
www.cantilenapress.com

gary-duane

Post by gary-duane » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:47 am

John Ruggero wrote:
gary-duane wrote:the Chopin Ballade in F has unreasonably long phrases, and they are actually a bit ridiculous in that NO ONE could sing such a phrase or play it on a wind instrument. It presents a fluid, never-breaking flow the really can only work on piano - of on something like guitar.
As you correctly intuit, Chopin is using that slur (and all slurs) to mean legato and legato only. The best composers of the past never used slurs to show phrases since they had a higher opinion of performers than did editors like Joseffy and used markings only for things that might be misunderstood by an intelligent player. Phrasing didn't qualify because anyone can tell where most phrases begin and end by simply singing them. And if it isn't clear, it wasn't intended to be.

That spot in the Etude is notorious and often rewritten to help students. On the other hand, it's lots of fun too!
I assume you mean the chords right before the middle section of Op. 25 No. 10...

I think it's the kind of thing you will only miss once if you have a good understanding of theory/chord structure.

My issue as someone who has had to learn and perform very quickly over the years - huge amount of accompanying - is that it is always a plus to have something written in a way that you can grab it the very first time.

I have seen that particular spot edited with enharmonics somewhere, some edition, so it's not totally unknown.

But it's a tricky thing, isn't it? The moment you change something, thinking that it won't matter and might make things easier, something unintended gets changed. For instance, as nearly useless as Chopin's pedal markings are for students, they also are important for how general they are, and how potentially intuitive.

I think I would always prefer to teach from the closest thing to manuscript, a first printing, to find out how things started. Then in any subsequent edition you can judge for yourself if "improvements" really were improvements.

Right now I'm trying to remember one Chopin Nocturne in which the final chord or so differs between major or minor, and I'd like to check the Chopin site to see what was originally written. I remember listening and discussing this with another pianist who prefered the minor chord - I believe as Arrau played it - while I prefer the major - as Rubinstein played it. Hard to argue with either, so I assume that is one of many things that is disputed. Wish I could remember which nocturne.

gary-duane

Post by gary-duane » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:00 am

Found it: Last chord of Op. 32 No. 1, about equally divided in editions between Dnat and D#, final chord. It seems the best interpreters are about 50/50 split in the same way...

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:41 pm

gary-duane wrote:The moment you change something, thinking that it won't matter and might make things easier, something unintended gets changed. For instance, as nearly useless as Chopin's pedal markings are for students, they also are important for how general they are, and how potentially intuitive.

I think I would always prefer to teach from the closest thing to manuscript, a first printing, to find out how things started. Then in any subsequent edition you can judge for yourself if "improvements" really were improvements.
Another mind-meld. You might check out my Composer vs Engraver series of posts on various topics at Notat.io which gives numerous illustrations of why the composer's manuscript is such an important source. Even the first editions sometimes get the composer's intentions wrong and that persists through successive editions. In preparing editions, I always follow the composer's orthography, which is as ingenious as the music itself. And for that reason, I don't agree the Chopin's pedal markings are useless for anyone, since they are as integral to the notation as the notes themselves.
gary-duane wrote:Last chord of Op. 32 No. 1, about equally divided in editions between Dnat and D#, final chord. It seems the best interpreters are about 50/50 split in the same way...
There is really should be no controversy here because all of the primary sources have D natural. All three of the first editions, French, German and English have D natural. The Dubois and Stirling copies which contain the most important of Chopin's own hand-written corrections and additions also have D natural. Chopin surely would have corrected this in these copies, in which he entered his final thoughts. The first Complete Works by Breitkopf and Haertel, edited by musicians like Brahms, has D natural.

The D sharp first appears in the second German edition and was then perpetuated in the following German editions and later editions by Mikuli etc. which is why there are performers who still play the D#. Jan Ezkier, the Chopin authority and editor of the new Chopin Complete Works and the Wiener Urtext edition of the Nocturnes, considers the D# to be spurious. For these reasons, performers who play the D# are flying in the face of overwhelming evidence against it.
www.cantilenapress.com

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:02 pm

1) There is no doubt that the D natural felt “hard on the ears” in the first half of the 1800 century:
- A composition in B major - ending with a B minor triad!

No wonder why some thought the D natural was a mistake.

2) However, there are other examples of the same:

Felix Mendelssohn’s “Rondo capriccioso”, beginning in E major, ending in E minor.

César Franck’s « Fantaisie en La » for organ, beginning in A major, ending in A minor.

(If I Recall Correctly)
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:49 am

That's an excellent point, Peter. Ending a major piece in minor is certainly a rarity. I am not sure the Mendelssohn really qualifies because it's mostly in E minor with a short E major intro.

The ending of this Chopin Nocturne under discussion is an extraordinary improvised cry of pain that vacillates between major and minor until the very end. Minor wins out shortly before the final chords, so playing a major triad would create a chromatic conflict that sounds like a tacked-on happy ending.
Chopin Ending.jpg
Chopin Ending.jpg (78.88 KiB) Viewed 15331 times
www.cantilenapress.com

gary-duane

Post by gary-duane » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:19 am

John Ruggero wrote:That's an excellent point, Peter. Ending a major piece in minor is certainly a rarity. I am not sure the Mendelssohn really qualifies because it's mostly in E minor with a short E major intro.

The ending of this Chopin Nocturne under discussion is an extraordinary improvised cry of pain that vacillates between major and minor until the very end. Minor wins out shortly before the final chords, so playing a major triad would create a chromatic conflict that sounds like a tacked-on happy ending.
Chopin Ending.jpg
I prefer the D# at the end, but I have no logical reason. It does appear that Chopin clearly wrote Dnat, but I don't recall anything else he ever wrote changing so abruptly that way. On the other hand, the whole last section is dark.

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:47 pm

gary-duane wrote:On the other hand, the whole last section is dark.
Exactly, and then there's the clash with D natural in the preceding measure.

Also to be considered:

The German first and second editions have distortions in these two measures that make one doubt the musical understanding of the engraver. As seen in the example above from the first French edition, Chopin wrote a quarter note appoggiatura A# as a small note applied to a B that is then held through the next measure. The final two offbeat chords (which, like the previous offbeat chords are to sound like an accompaniment to a recitative) are also small notes to suggest a free tempo and fading away continuing from the P marking from the previous offbeat chords.

Here is the German first edition, which has the D natural, but everything else is wrong:
Chopin false ending.jpg
Chopin false ending.jpg (23.99 KiB) Viewed 15312 times
Chopin certainly wouldn't have combined the offbeat chords with the melody like this. The engraver didn't understand the small notes, made the tie into a slur, and rewrote the rhythm while probably muttering something about "these composers". Then to cap it all off, the D# was added in the second German edition, possibly because the distorted version is so unconvincing.

Later editions discarded the rhythmically distorted version, but kept the D#, possibly for the reason given by Peter Thomsen: the minor ending is so dark, uncomfortable and unique. But I think that that is exactly what Chopin wanted. Why else would a piece that starts off in a sunny mood have such a prolonged anguished ending?
www.cantilenapress.com

gary-duane

Post by gary-duane » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:38 pm

John Ruggero wrote:
gary-duane wrote:On the other hand, the whole last section is dark.
Exactly, and then there's the clash with D natural in the preceding measure.

Also to be considered:

The German first and second editions have distortions in these two measures that make one doubt the musical understanding of the engraver. As seen in the example above from the first French edition, Chopin wrote a quarter note appoggiatura A# as a small note applied to a B that is then held through the next measure. The final two offbeat chords (which, like the previous offbeat chords are to sound like an accompaniment to a recitative) are also small notes to suggest a free tempo and fading away continuing from the P marking from the previous offbeat chords.

Here is the German first edition, which has the D natural, but everything else is wrong:
Chopin false ending.jpg
Chopin certainly wouldn't have combined the offbeat chords with the melody like this. The engraver didn't understand the small notes, made the tie into a slur, and rewrote the rhythm while probably muttering something about "these composers". Then to cap it all off, the D# was added in the second German edition, possibly because the distorted version is so unconvincing.

Later editions discarded the rhythmically distorted version, but kept the D#, possibly for the reason given by Peter Thomsen: the minor ending is so dark, uncomfortable and unique. But I think that that is exactly what Chopin wanted. Why else would a piece that starts off in a sunny mood have such a prolonged anguished ending?
I'm new to this site, so I'm not very good at navigating it yet...

To me it is shocking the way the last bar has been rewritten. I had no idea.

I'm looking right now at an edition from Alfred edited by Palmer, probably the worst guy in the history of the world to give his ideas on how to play Chopin. I don't have a scanner, but he has completely rewritten the ending. I would do that for students without blinking an eye, but I would make it very clear that it is just a personal view and would immediately show the most accurate score (in my opinion), to point out controversy.

I ran into something similar just yesterday. I have been teaching the Chopin F Minor Etude, and at the end there are two "small notes" which I would call appoggiaturas. Both are slashed in the editions I've seen. My student was trying to play them very quickly, and I suggested drawing them out as if they are NOT slashed.

Then I said, "Wait a minute. Someone in the Finale Forum gave me a link. I think those slashes have been added. Let's look."

And sure enough, it appears to me that people "fixed" the notation:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ghsynz35cnumg ... s.png?dl=0

I see no slashes, and looking at all "solutions", more than I could capture in one screenshot, it seems as though over time either both are slashed or both not slashed. I would personally go with no slashes.

And finally this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z61o9pk3iodn8 ... w.png?dl=0

Now someone has rewritten the notation entirely. Weird...

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:11 pm

gary-duane wrote:I'm looking right now at an edition from Alfred edited by Palmer, probably the worst guy in the history of the world to give his ideas on how to play Chopin
'

:D Not my favorite editor either (to put it mildly).

Only copy of this Etude by Chopin exists, as seen in the second example in your first dropbox, and it has the two small notes without the slashes. It is interesting that the first example in your first dropbox, which is by Chopin's copyist, has something crossed out before the first small note. Could that be a slashed small note that was corrected by Chopin or the copyist? Chopin's copy was used by the first German edition, and so the first German edition has the notes without the slashes.

I too would vote for the small eighth notes without slashes, although there is less damage done by the first slash than the second, since slashed notes during this time and earlier were merely alternatives for small sixteenths and didn't necessarily mean crushed notes. (See the last three examples at the Chopin website.) So the first small note might be a 16th appoggiatura decorating an eighth note which would be about like two even moderate 16ths, since one would be slowing down at this point. The second small note is a poetic anticipation of the following measure and as such must not be fast. Chopin was obviously concerned that the small notes be interpreted as you feel it: slow and poetic.

Note the small notes and arpeggio sign in the next measure in Chopin's autograph.
Chopin Etude small notes 1.jpg
Chopin Etude small notes 1.jpg (25.72 KiB) Viewed 15274 times
This version didn't make it into the copy by the copyist and the first editions, unfortunately, and sometimes appears as a secondary entry in modern editions. It may appear as the main text in my edition, since it appears to be the composer's true intention and communicates more than the version normalized by the copyist and editors who also break the measure into two:
Chopin Etude small notes 2.jpg
Chopin Etude small notes 2.jpg (19.06 KiB) Viewed 15274 times
www.cantilenapress.com

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:41 pm

After further consideration, I decided to put the autograph version of the ending to op. 25 no. 2 in a footnote, since the change to the two measure version by the copyist was almost certainly made with Chopin's approval.
www.cantilenapress.com

gary-duane

Post by gary-duane » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:22 am

John Ruggero wrote:
gary-duane wrote:I'm looking right now at an edition from Alfred edited by Palmer, probably the worst guy in the history of the world to give his ideas on how to play Chopin
'

:D Not my favorite editor either (to put it mildly).

Only copy of this Etude by Chopin exists, as seen in the second example in your first dropbox, and it has the two small notes without the slashes. It is interesting that the first example in your first dropbox, which is by Chopin's copyist, has something crossed out before the first small note. Could that be a slashed small note that was corrected by Chopin or the copyist? Chopin's copy was used by the first German edition, and so the first German edition has the notes without the slashes.

I too would vote for the small eighth notes without slashes, although there is less damage done by the first slash than the second, since slashed notes during this time and earlier were merely alternatives for small sixteenths and didn't necessarily mean crushed notes. (See the last three examples at the Chopin website.) So the first small note might be a 16th appoggiatura decorating an eighth note which would be about like two even moderate 16ths, since one would be slowing down at this point. The second small note is a poetic anticipation of the following measure and as such must not be fast. Chopin was obviously concerned that the small notes be interpreted as you feel it: slow and poetic.

Note the small notes and arpeggio sign in the next measure in Chopin's autograph.
Chopin Etude small notes 1.jpg
This version didn't make it into the copy by the copyist and the first editions, unfortunately, and sometimes appears as a secondary entry in modern editions. It may appear as the main text in my edition, since it appears to be the composer's true intention and communicates more than the version normalized by the copyist and editors who also break the measure into two:
Chopin Etude small notes 2.jpg
John, you have considered these matters far more completely and more carefully than I have.

Off the top of my head, if I were notating the Op 25 No. 2, F minor, I would most likely put a slash through the first small note but not on the second.

Apparently most of my friends did also not know about this site.

I've simply made decisions in the past by intuition, and when there are choices, I've always shown students those choices, told them to listen to other players, then make an informed decision.

There are about 10 different subjects on my mind that I would like to discuss, all related, but my answer would wander too much.

Right now I need to check out the very famous Chopin E Minor Prelude, which I cover pretty early with students. There are grace-notes or appoggiaturas that are usually slashed, or at least one in around the first half, and I've always told students to treat it as a long appogiatura - like two even 16th notes tied to an 8th, lots of weight on the small note. Now I'm curious to see what the site shows...

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:12 pm

gary-duane wrote: Off the top of my head, if I were notating the Op 25 No. 2, F minor, I would most likely put a slash through the first small note but not on the second
I think that is a fine way to notate it.
gary-duane wrote:There are about 10 different subjects on my mind that I would like to discuss, all related, but my answer would wander too much.
I've enjoyed it, gary-duane. And don't forget about Notat.io. That is another good place to post about notational matters.

I agreed with you about the Em Prelude!
www.cantilenapress.com

gary-duane

Post by gary-duane » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:47 pm

John Ruggero wrote:
gary-duane wrote: Off the top of my head, if I were notating the Op 25 No. 2, F minor, I would most likely put a slash through the first small note but not on the second
I think that is a fine way to notate it.
gary-duane wrote:There are about 10 different subjects on my mind that I would like to discuss, all related, but my answer would wander too much.
I've enjoyed it, gary-duane. And don't forget about Notat.io. That is another good place to post about notational matters.

I agreed with you about the Em Prelude!
John, what I'm thinking about goes WAY beyond this thread.

Over the last couple years I got extremely interested in some of the music of Grusin, and I wanted Death of Love and Trust for my students. But I did not think any written version of it existed, so I simply wrote it out.

Later I found out that he did publish it, but his written version is cut and obviously is not fully accurate.

The interesting thing for me: I heard it as being in 6/4, in groups of two. One two Three four Five Six, but without obvious accents, so often somewhat ambiguous.

He write it in 3/4, apparently with a kind easy jazz waltz in mind. But my original idea (which I then changed) worked equally well and at times was more logical.

Anywhere in which the music was more or less metronomic my transcribing was otherwise right on the money, but in the intro, where it was free, mine was completely different. I think that PERHAPS someone would play a bit closer to what he played by using mine, but of course I can't be sure.

The important part to me is that at all times we assume that we get more information from the written page than we actually do. In particular piano music is terribly imprecise. The sustain pedal alone makes a mockery out of written note values.

My student yesterday asked me about pedaling in the middle section of the Op. 25, No. 10, and I was stumped for about 10 minutes. The problem: My LH stretches to an 11th, and I can play most of the large chords written by Chopin, Liszt and Rachmaninov solid. Even if I roll them slightly, I can always hold the lower notes, especially the bass, and that changes for me the timing of the pedal. I don't think about it.

My student, Jay, who is actually taller than I am, has a minor 10th but can't play things like E-G#, and in one place no matter how I tried to work it out, I got a burp when I rolled a chord he could not hit solid. I had to play one measure without a pedal change, something I would never do myself, because the timing of a roll cut a RH octave, and I could find no other solution.

Now, compare that with the almost total lack of pedal marks in older piano music OR the overly specific, dumbed down markings we see everywhere to day..

That's just one of about a hundred problems that young students have to solve, with our help, for which the music is absolutely useless.

Then there is interpretation: what do we do when performance tradition absolutely contradicts the music?

In the case of the Op. 25, No. 2, for me a huge problem is not rit. at the end, which I see nowhere - not in any edition. But no one would think of gunning right through to the end without slowing down, usually a lot.

In the even more famous and obviously more often played C Minor Prelude I have never seen any indication of a dim. at the end. From the music I would assume that Chopin had in mind a rather angry crescendo right to the end. To preserve that idea I show that to my young students, play it that way, then play it as it is usually played, building up to around the Ab chord then bringing it down.

Where did that performance tradition come from?

That is always my question.

There is a place (at least one) in Debussy's Sunken Cathedral where Debussy very obviously double-times his own composition. But most people do not follow the piano roll, which I think is very convincing. They assume the score must determine the final decision.

Finally, Rachmaninov did all sorts of things in his own recordings of his own music that are nothing like the scores. One that I find particularly convincing is a kind of lilt in his playing in big melodies that are in 4/4 where those pairs are almost swung a tiny bit, not truly 6/4 but something sort of in between. It is a peculiar characteristic of his playing sound, as I remember it particularly obvious in his 4th Concerto, last movement.

But no one plays the music that way.

To me this is very strange.

We have a unique chance to HEAR what these greats actually did, and most people will ignore the "sound-evidence" in favor of their scores.