Suspended cymbal roll crescendo

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Luka Puka
Finale Version: v25, macOS Ventura
Operating System: Mac

Post by Luka Puka » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:49 am

I'm trying to figure out how to make a suspended cymbal roll with the percussion instrument and make it have an effective crescendo.

On Finale 25, I've tried using a few of the cymbal sounds on the space above the first line on the percussion instrument (or a high G on treble clef), adding a tremolo mark and pp < ff dynamics. All I'm getting is a single cymbal hit that increases unnaturally in volume and rings at the end.

Is there an effective "reverse cymbal" sound like the one I want?
Example: https://youtu.be/QPMulhFQj-8?t=1692

Thanks,
Luke

gogreen
Finale Version: Finale 27.4.1.146

Post by gogreen » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:24 pm

Which instrument library, or libraries, are you using? The examples I circled are from GPO5. Have you tried these?
Attachments
cymbal.png
cymbal.png (14.81 KiB) Viewed 9171 times
Art
Finale 27
NotePerformer, GPO5, COMB2
MacOS Ventura 13.6.6
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BRHBTHT/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=%22Arthur+J.+Michaels%22&qid=1593016536&sr=8-2

Luka Puka

Post by Luka Puka » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:48 pm

When I open the VST Viewer it says Garritan Instruments for Finale. (Not sure if it's necessarily GPO5.)

I've tried all but am not completely satisfied with, and it may be asking for the impossible, any of the cymbal sounds.

Suspended Cymbal Roll: When I put a three-line tremolo mark on it, it doesn't "roll" as much as play distinguishable eighth notes. I put the dynamics pp < ff under it, the most extreme I could reasonably write on an orchestral score, and the crescendo actually seemed decently effective. I think I would use this if nothing is better.

Suspended Cymbal Roll (Mute Release): I don't completely understand what type of sound this is. Putting a tremolo on it sounds like a rapid-fire repeating cymbal sound, as if someone took a short audio clip of the beginning of a cymbal hit and repeated it many times a second. Dynamics on its tremolo don't seem to affect it very much.

Suspended Cymbal Cresc (Loud): It doesn't make a sound at all when I play it back or when I place it on the staff. I feel like the name describes what I want played back but have no idea how to produce it.

So the Suspended Cymbal Roll note seems good enough but is there a way to let it ring, instead of ending when the note duration has ended? I tried putting a single note in the next measure without a tremolo mark but it clearly sounded like a roll, a tiny rest, and then a final crash.

Thank you,
Luke

gogreen

Post by gogreen » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:03 pm

For the purpose as you describe, I use suspended cymbal roll (mute release), but I use a tremolo mark that I created as an expression with a playback type set to none. When I add the tremolo articulation, I get that unnatural rhythmic beating cymbal sound. So the tremolo articulation appears in the score and parts but does not affect playback--the cymbal already has a roll sound.

I don't know if the Giff suspended cymbal roll (mute release) sound is the same as that of GPO5, but I suspect it is. It's midi note #93 is GPO5.
Art
Finale 27
MacOS Ventura 13.6.6
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BRHBTHT/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=%22Arthur+J.+Michaels%22&qid=1593016536&sr=8-2

Luka Puka

Post by Luka Puka » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:44 pm

Thank you for the additional information.

Does GPO5 have any more features/sounds than GIFF?

gogreen

Post by gogreen » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:43 pm

Does GPO5 have any more features/sounds than GIFF?
Yes. Someone here might be able to point you to the comparison you want.
Art
Finale 27
MacOS Ventura 13.6.6

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Michel R E » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:46 pm

the reason you're getting that double "beating" effect with your roll is that the Human Playback preference is badly set.

I'll use a simple example.

the rolled SOUND you want is on the D just above middle C.
but normally, that instrument (non-rolled) is on middle C.

In human playback preferences you must define the "roll" (or tremolo or whatever the technique is) so that when you WRITE a middle C, and add the tremolo articulation, it will redirect the sound to the D just above, which has the correct sound.

The reason you're getting that double roll sound is that you are using the roll note (instead of the normal non-rolled note) and then adding a tremolo articulation to it, so in effect telling it to roll a roll.
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.