Adding articulations on multiple layers?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

jzucker
Finale Version: V25 on windows 10 64
Operating System: Windows

Post by jzucker » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:50 am

Is there any way to do this? I am writing a guitar book and wanted to indicate multiple picking articulations on separate layers so essentially one note might have 3 articulations vertically stacked on top of each other.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:51 am

jzucker wrote:Is there any way to do this? I am writing a guitar book and wanted to indicate multiple picking articulations on separate layers so essentially one note might have 3 articulations vertically stacked on top of each other.
Finale has 4 layers.
You can have notes in all 4 layers (but you seldom need as many as 4 layers - only for very complicated layouts), and you can add articulations on any notes in any layer.

From your description it sounds like you are having trouble with the Articulation Tool.
Perhaps you should describe your steps in Finale, what happens; and what doesn't happen that you expected.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

jzucker

Post by jzucker » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:37 pm

i already tried that. I activated a new layer and it wouldn't allow me to add articulations to it. I even copied and pasted the music from the first layer onto the 2nd layer but it wouldn't allow me to edit the articulations. Perhaps the copy/paste is not working between layers? Just to be clear, I selected and copied the music with layer 1 active, then activated layer 2 and pasted a duplicate onto the 2nd layer.

I have metakeys setup for my articulations but I also tried manually adding the articulations by using the articulation tool and clicking on the note. In neither case, was I able to create or edit an articulation until I activated layer 1 again.
Peter Thomsen wrote:
jzucker wrote:Is there any way to do this? I am writing a guitar book and wanted to indicate multiple picking articulations on separate layers so essentially one note might have 3 articulations vertically stacked on top of each other.
Finale has 4 layers.
You can have notes in all 4 layers (but you seldom need as many as 4 layers - only for very complicated layouts), and you can add articulations on any notes in any layer.

From your description it sounds like you are having trouble with the Articulation Tool.
Perhaps you should describe your steps in Finale, what happens; and what doesn't happen that you expected.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:50 pm

If I'm understanding correctly, you don't need layers. You can put several articulations on one note in one layer.
Attachments
0320.png
0320.png (92.25 KiB) Viewed 6923 times

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:28 pm

jzucker wrote:… I activated a new layer and it wouldn't allow me to add articulations to it. I even copied and pasted the music from the first layer onto the 2nd layer but it wouldn't allow me to edit the articulations. Perhaps the copy/paste is not working between layers? Just to be clear, I selected and copied the music with layer 1 active, then activated layer 2 and pasted a duplicate onto the 2nd layer …
That is not how Finale works.
When you copy music, Finale also remembers, in what layer the copied music is, and Finale pastes the music into the same layer - no matter what layer is the active layer.

To move/copy music in a region to another layer, use the Selection Tool to select the region, and go to
Edit menu > Move/Copy Layers…

However, as motet points out, you do not really need multiple layers to get multiple articulations.

jzucker

Post by jzucker » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:29 pm

I actually do need separate layers because i'm using JW Change to snap to an alignment point. Each layer has a ton of articulations that I want to snap to a position slightly above the previous layer's articulations. If everything is on the same layer, the snap will align the multiple vertical articulations over top of each other.

jzucker

Post by jzucker » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:53 pm

hmmm...Looks like this won't work either because of a bug in JW Change. It seems that even when you select the layer you want snap applied to, it applies it to all layers anyway!

motet

Post by motet » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:06 pm

Are these stacks all the same? It might be worth making your own articulation which includes all of them. You can do this with the Shape Designer, if rather tediously.

motet

Post by motet » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:07 pm

Or, use expressions. You might investigate guides as well.

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:09 pm

jzucker wrote:… Looks like this won't work either because of a bug in JW Change. It seems that even when you select the layer you want snap applied to, it applies it to all layers anyway!
Just to make things clear:

Your words “select the layer you want snap applied to” mean that you - in the Document menu - select “Show Active Layer Only”, right?

jzucker

Post by jzucker » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:14 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote:
jzucker wrote:… Looks like this won't work either because of a bug in JW Change. It seems that even when you select the layer you want snap applied to, it applies it to all layers anyway!
Just to make things clear:

Your words “select the layer you want snap applied to” mean that you - in the Document menu - select “Show Active Layer Only”, right?
No, I am referring to the layer selection combo box in JW Change

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:52 pm

Have you tried using JW Change while “Show Active Layer Only” is selected?

Anders Hedelin
Finale Version: Finale 26, 27.4.1

Post by Anders Hedelin » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:49 pm

Another workaround would be to use the Lyrics Tool. With that you could create a large number of levels (defined as verses), rather than layers, of any inserted characters (fx Maestro 24p). They would align perfectly vertically to your choice (use the arrows left of the music).
I know this is not ideal, like with most workarounds, but perhaps it's worth a try.
Finale 26.3, 27.4.1
Windows 10