Selection Tool option?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by John Ruggero » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:03 pm

Is there any way to select only specified items with the Selection Tool? Something like an Edit Filter? (I would like to make sure there isn't before I post this at the MM Feature Request Forum.)

For example, I want to select only a certain area of a staff while avoiding selecting close-by Smart Shapes by accident since the boundary around them is not visible. I need to use the Selection Tool because I am applying a JWChange command to the articulations in this area, and it only works when the area is selected with the Selection Tool.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:06 pm

Surely, the shapes will only be selected when using the Shape Tool? In the Selection Tool, the measure regions will be selected.

In any case, assuming that the shapes are selected along with the regions, what happens to them when JW Change alters artics? You can filter the focus of JW Change actions, of course.
Screen Shot.png
Screen Shot.png (13.63 KiB) Viewed 4789 times

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:20 pm

JW Change only cares about which measures/beats are selected, not which items. Still, your feature request might be useful in other situations.

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:26 pm

I'd like to see cases where this provides some utility not already available. As said, JW Change will usually only act on the items specified, regardless of what else is selected. The same for most other functions.

If we had "Selection Filter" and Edit Filter, then the possibility for confusion over what is selected and what is acted upon will double. "You have expressions on in your Edit Filter, but off in your Selection Filter."

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:57 pm

The problem is that as one moves the cursor in to lasso a partial measure, say from below the staff, it is very easy to catch a smart shape in the process and pull it out of position, as for example a Ped. * combination that extends over many measures below the staff. I know that I could simply click on the measure and then slice off a piece with the Shift, but that is not my natural working style. I like to quickly circle areas to edit.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

motet

Post by motet » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:21 pm

-
Last edited by motet on Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:24 pm

As long as you don't actually start the drag on the shape itself, you should be fine. Start the drag from the top, or outside the shapes.

motet

Post by motet » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:27 pm

I can now see John's point. I think if you click anywhere within the rectangle bounding a slur--which can be large--you'll select it. Like I say, though, a "don't select anything" feature would be better than a filter a la the edit filter.

How's this for a work-around: do your selecting from the Clef tool, then switch to the Selection tool to run the plug-in--the selection will remain. I think that avoids the problem.

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:51 pm

motet wrote:How's this for a work-around: do your selecting from the Clef tool, then switch to the Selection tool to run the plug-in--the selection will remain. I think that avoids the problem.
But don't press any numbers! I think the Repeat tool is the 'safest' tool that selects measure regions.

But I'm sure you can find some point to start a rectangle that isn't part of a shape.

John Ruggero

Post by John Ruggero » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:28 pm

motet wrote:How's this for a work-around: do your selecting from the Clef tool, then switch to the Selection tool to run the plug-in--the selection will remain. I think that avoids the problem.
BuonTempi wrote:I think the Repeat tool is the 'safest' tool that selects measure regions.
What a great solution! I will try it.
BuonTempi wrote:But I'm sure you can find some point to start a rectangle that isn't part of a shape.
Yes, one can find a spot, but it is annoying when there are many to do, and one misses, which is often.
www.cantilenapress.com