Attaching Smart Lines to Notes Beamed over Barline

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by John Ruggero » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:48 pm

Is there a workaround for this?

I can't piece a series of piano pedaling brackets together in a passage in which notes are beamed over the bar lines. The brackets jump around as if not knowing where the "beat" is that they are attached to, when one redraws the screen, which is how the file then prints. Clicking on the bracket restores it to the correct position, but this is only temporary. The first attachment shows what is desired, the second what results after a screen redraw:
Original.jpeg
Original.jpeg (49.44 KiB) Viewed 1657 times
Screen redraw.jpeg
Screen redraw.jpeg (48.87 KiB) Viewed 1657 times
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:05 pm

I suppose that you have used the plug-in Beam Over Barlines, right?

The plug-in uses two different tricks to beam over a barline.

One trick is used when beaming between two measures in the same system (= overfilling the first measure + hidden placeholder in the beginning of the second measure).

Another trick is used when beaming across a system break (= no overfilling, but with beam extensions from both measures).

I suggest that you try the second trick:
Arrange - temporarily - the two measures so that the plug-in beams across a system break.
Then re-arrange the {measure layout} back to the original mid-system layout (you may have to adjust the two beam extensions).

I have not tried it, but I suspect that you will get better results with the smart lines where there are no “overfilled” measures.

Generally I tend to, always use the second trick since it allows me to, freely re-arrange the measure layout without worrying about system breaks.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5

Post by John Ruggero » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:43 pm

Brilliant, Peter. Problem solved!
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."