Dynamics can't be copied without notes

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

fredvandoren
Finale Version: Finale 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by fredvandoren » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:36 pm

Finale 25. Mac.
Garrison Instruments for Finale, COMB2, JABB3, GWI, Tapspace.

In a short piece for Tenorline (Finale), a passage for Drum 1 is repeated by Drums 2, 3, and 4 in turn. Each Drum is represented on a different space within the same instrument. I add dynamics and hairpins to the Drum 1 passage. I open the Filter and select ""Expressions" and "Smart shape" for the hairpins. "Use Filter" is engaged. I copy the Drum passage and paste to Drum 2, 3, and 4. The dynamics copy correctly, but the notes stay on the Drum 1 space.

I tried copying from one Tenorline instrument to another on a separate staff and had no problem. Same with two flutes. In the past I've copied dynamics from one piano measure to another and done the same with violin. Are the percussion notes treated differently?

Fred Van Doren

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:52 pm

I just tested this and get the same result as you. However, you'll notice, if you have the feature on that show the MIDI pitches, those don't change. that is good news. After doing the copy/paste. I then highlighted the measures and selected Retranscribe. The notes went back to their correct positions.

You might want to report this to MakeMusic, as I don't think the behavior is good.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

fredvandoren

Post by fredvandoren » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:01 pm

Thanks for the test. I tried it again this morning. I started with a line of notes with added articulations (accents, roll marks). It copied correctly. I then transposed the notes from one drum to another. No problem. I then attempted to copy expressions and smart shapes. They copied but the notes were returned to the lower, Drum 1 position. The MIDI labels, however were correct.

When I used Retranscribe, the notes corrected themselves, the expressions and smart shapes remained, but the ARTICULATIONS disappeared.

I will pass this on to MakeMusic.

Fred Van Doren

zuill

Post by zuill » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:04 pm

Further testing:

This seems to only happen when there is only one staff. When there are 2, the behavior goes away, even on the original staff. I will work on a workaround based on this discovery.

Zuill

zuill

Post by zuill » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:13 pm

Okay. Use this which I also discovered helped in another odd situation recently.

In my example, I entered 4 bars of notes, one bar for each of the 4 drums. Set up a sample like this for the test.

Drag select more than measure 1 (drag into beat 1 of bar 2).
Press ctrl-C to copy.
Now, only select measure 2.
Press ctrl-v.

That should work.

Zuill

P.S.: Here's a sample file on which to test my workaround.
Attachments
Copy Paste Percussion With Filter.musx
(85.68 KiB) Downloaded 147 times

fredvandoren

Post by fredvandoren » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:38 am

Yes! It works on your sample file, and presumably elsewhere. I select a measure and a beat, but copy to a full measure. Could be a problem it there is already an articulation on the extra beat, but I'll cross that bridge later.

Thanks once again.

Fred Van Doren

zuill

Post by zuill » Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:39 am

I've discovered this also works by choosing just slightly less than a full measure, so that would solve the problem of an articulation in the next measure getting deleted.

Zuill