Defaults on that'd be better off

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by David Ward » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:18 am

It seems to me that a number of Finale's settings that are on by default might more sensibly be options to be chosen only if wanted, which by default are left off.

Here's an example I've just encountered. I have F 25.4.1 on two computers, but have mostly been using it on only one of these until this morning. As a result I was momentarily flummoxed when I came to edit the bowing of the unison string phrases for all violins (on one stave), all violas and all cellos shown in the screenshot. My copying and pasting of everything from violins to violas was fine, but when pasted into the cellos the second and third bars mysteriously appeared down by one octave! Then I remembered to check the ‘Respect Instrument Ranges when Copying…’ setting in Preferences, which must have turned on when I installed the up-date on this computer.

My question is: who needs such a setting by default? And who has decided that the best singing range of the cello is ‘out of range’ and why?

Are there other annoying/unnecessary defaults which catch members of this forum unaware from time to time?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-08-01 at 10.49.20.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-01 at 10.49.20.png (49.68 KiB) Viewed 2198 times
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4

Post by miker » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:51 pm

It's a little thing, but Auto Number of new instruments, when there is only one.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by ebiggs1 » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:46 pm

Are there other annoying/unnecessary defaults which catch members of this forum unaware from time to time?

YES ! :wink: Sometimes I wonder if actual music people set the defaults.
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:58 pm

The "Automatic Instrument Family Groups" can be quite destructive, as I've recently pointed out to MM:

If you adjust your bracketed groups from Finale's defaults and then add another Staff, Finale will RESET the groups to its defaults. e.g.:

1. Create a score for SATB-SATB.
2. Put each choir in a separate group/bracket.
3. Now decide you want to add a keyboard reduction.
4. Finale will group all the voices into one big group again!

The Respect Ranges when Copying thing has its uses: I've found it accidentally useful when copying the same unison lines between soprano and tenor; viola and cello, etc. Perhaps it would be more useful in the Edit Filter?