Main Tool Palette jumps around, sometimes offscreen?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Christopher Smith
Finale Version: v.25.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by Christopher Smith » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:58 pm

I just updated my version of Sierra (on Mac) to 10.12.6, the latest version, and within a couple of days updated Finale v.25 to the most recent version.

I noticed some funny behaviour. My main tool palette would sometimes jump around onscreen. Sometimes it seemed to disappear, but there was an edge poking out from the bottom of the screen, so I was able to ascertain that it just jumped almost all the way offscreen and drag it back. It happened when I was clicking around, sometimes with plugins (built-in and JW), sometimes changing windows. I wasn't able to happen on the exact combination that would force it do that every time. Anyone else see this?

Another issue. I don't know if this is related, or if it's simply new behaviour, but the Edit Lyric window closes every time I switch out of the Lyric tool. When I switched back to the Lyric Tool, I would expect the Edit Lyric window to be open again, as it was when I left it, but no, I have to hit cmd-L to open it again. This is an annoying new keystroke to slow me down when the lyrics are hitting hot and heavy, as they were in my last project. Does anyone have any insight?

I'm not sure whose fault it was, but all my FAN files were hosed by either the system update or the Finale update. Probably my Symbols font file was too, but I haven't noticed that yet.
Finale 2014.5 and v.25 on Mac OS 10.12.6 (Sierra)

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:17 pm

I assume you rebooted the machine after installing the upgrades. All of your problems sound like a bad Preferences file to me. Here are the directions to renew the file:

https://makemusic.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ ... inale-etc-

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

Christopher Smith
Finale Version: v.25.3

Post by Christopher Smith » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:39 pm

I had rebooted and then some, but I hadn't trashed the preferences. Thanks for the reminder; of course I should know that flaky behaviour like this is a sign of corrupted preferences.

I did the procedure, then I copied my clean preferences to a labelled folder so I won't lose them all next time I have to do this. That is a pain.

I'll write back if the problems stay on.
Finale 2014.5 and v.25 on Mac OS 10.12.6 (Sierra)