Multi measure Rests WITHOUT Numbers FIN 25.4/ Mac OS 10.12

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

IsleyMusic
Finale Version: 25.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by IsleyMusic » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:47 pm

Hello all -

This may have been answered elsewhere and I apologize if so, but I'm losing my patience with Finale and the things that used to work great and are now inexplicably broken... I've been a Finale User since version 1.

I want to be able to create a multi measure rest, go into edit it, set the "start numbering at" number to a higher number than in the rest, and then voila, have it display a multi measure rest with no number, just the rest symbol, i.e., for creating open solo or vamp sections in a chart.

I used to be able to do this without fail prior to Version 25. Now, I can create the rest, and it shows up correctly, but whenever I try to print or save to PDF, it still outputs the number as well as resets the display onscreen to have the number. I do charts all the time with open vamp or solo sections that I notate this way, and this is making me nuts!

Ideas?

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:11 pm

You probably need to turn off the option to automatically update MM rests. That should do it.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

IsleyMusic
Finale Version: 25.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by IsleyMusic » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:16 pm

zuill wrote:You probably need to turn off the option to automatically update MM rests. That should do it.

Zuill

Ya know... it's usually the simplest things... that did it.

THANKS Zuill!!

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:35 pm

That option really needs to be fixed to only update MM rests that have been changed, not the whole damn document when one changes. I have turned it off, but you need to be very careful.