Strange tempo - file specific

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

shnootre
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by shnootre » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:36 pm

Hi all - I know it'd be easier to diagnose if I could send a file - but I'm going to try first without. (big complicated file...)

I have one file where tempos don't seem to be playing back correctly. If I look in scroll view, and start the piece right at the tempo change, the tempo will be played correctly. But if I start earlier, finale just breezes right through the tempo change without adjusting.

This happens in page view too.

Only this file. Human Playback is set to Standard, and the tempo markings are all appropriately defined for Playback.

Just wondering if, from this info, anyone can guess what I'm missing (or is the file possibly corrupt?)
Dan Sonenberg
www.danielsonenberg.org
Finale 25.5
iMac Retina 5k, 27-inch, 2017. 32gb ram, and OSX 10.13.6 and MacBook pro 2018, 13", 2.7GHz Intel Core i7, 16gb ram, OSX 10.13.6
Vienna Ensemble Pro, Logic X, and lotsa samples

shnootre

Post by shnootre » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:53 pm

I actually DID try, afterwards, to attach a file, but at 390kb it was "too big," which is a bit restrictive in 2017! :)

I have made a discovery, though. The problem goes away if expressions are deleted from the measure before the tempo change. In one case I had a fermata, entered as an expression. Deleted it, and the tempo change played as written. But in another case, I had an expression that was just "G.P." - I'm not sure there's a Human Playback interpretation for that expression. I'm guessing not. But in the absence of the expression, the tempo change played correctly. When I put it back, no tempo change. Weird!
Dan Sonenberg
www.danielsonenberg.org
Finale 25.5
iMac Retina 5k, 27-inch, 2017. 32gb ram, and OSX 10.13.6 and MacBook pro 2018, 13", 2.7GHz Intel Core i7, 16gb ram, OSX 10.13.6

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:54 am

I experienced a similar issue and resolved it by deleting all the unused expressions then importing a fresh copy of my library file. I then deleted all the duplicates of which Finale notified me. In those instances, Finale gives you the option to replace those that are in the score. At this point, I replaced the existing ones in my score with those in my library file.

The labor is not really that time-consuming...10-15 minutes. But it seems to remedy a corrupted or conflicting element.

If you load a library file into a document with an existing library, especially one that was also previously loaded, you will have a myriad of duplicated expressions, shapes and custom line items. I'm not sure if bloating the library predisposes Finale to file corruption; but since purging everything in Expressions, Articulation Shapes and Custom Line items--before working on a document--I no longer experience the problem you describe.

When all else fails, I open a new document, tile windows horizontally, and then copy and paste the notation from the corrupted file into the new. This last resort has never failed to solve a stubborn problem.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:04 am

Maybe start by clearing or deleting just the offending measure and re-entering.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:27 am

shnootre wrote:… I have made a discovery, though. The problem goes away if expressions are deleted from the measure before the tempo change. In one case I had a fermata, entered as an expression. Deleted it, and the tempo change played as written. But in another case, I had an expression that was just "G.P." - I'm not sure there's a Human Playback interpretation for that expression. I'm guessing not. But in the absence of the expression, the tempo change played correctly. When I put it back, no tempo change. Weird!
Take a look at the expression(s) you “deleted from the measure before the tempo change”.
What playback effect is defined in the Expression Designer’s chiclet Playback?
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Djard » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:09 am

Creating a new expression and replacing the existing may help.

I once had several rall. expressions that failed. I tried them one by one, until I found one that worked.

Did you load a library file into a document with an existing library?

As a diagnostic, you could copy the problematic section into a new document, without the expressions, and then add the expressions from the default library. If that works it means you have a defective expression.

Good luck!

shnootre

Post by shnootre » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:50 pm

Thanks folks.

To answer a few questions - it is possible that I, at some point, loaded another expression library. Recreating the file from scratch by cutting and pasting into a new document is not something I want to do; this is a finished Vocal Score that I am revising, and I would mostly lose my formatting by doing that.

None of the offending expressions are defined for playback; though some of them are interpreted by Human Playback (such as fermatas).

I will play around with cleaning up the expressions, I think. The midi playback for this particular file isn't absolutely crucial. I suspect Djard is correct that the file is somehow corrupted. Whether I'll take the trouble to really fix it... we'll see!

Appreciate the feedback.
Dan Sonenberg
www.danielsonenberg.org
Finale 25.5