Finale 25 quits

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

John335
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by John335 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:10 am

I'll be working and clicking on expression handles and everything will be fine. Then, all of a sudden when I click on an expression handle the program quits.

Any guesses?

Finale 25.4
Mac 10.11.6

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:32 am

You should send the crash log to MakeMusic. It's very difficult to diagnose this sort of thing without lots of information: third-party software, hardware, etc.

It's certainly not the usual experience, so it should be fixable. Any reason you haven't upgraded to Sierra?

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by ebiggs1 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:49 am

Have you done any other upgrades? Installed any new software? There is a conflict somewhere because Fin 25 works well for lots of folks. It will for you too.
A video or sound update or upgrade?
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

John335

Post by John335 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:39 pm

I have nothing new installed and I just just sent a service request. I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks,
John

John335

Post by John335 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:05 am

Well,
MakeMusic got back to me very quickly, but I've tried going back to 25.3 and Finale 25 can't find the Maestro Font Default file. We've tried custom installing and even a new user account and it still cannot find anything and I have no templates etc. installed now. I'm really upset about this I've started recording a CD and now this happens.
The system SPX file showed that the 2012 to Finale 25 converter was the problem.

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:03 am

John335 wrote:Finale 25 can't find the Maestro Font Default file. We've tried custom installing and even a new user account and it still cannot find anything and I have no templates etc. installed now.
Unless you've changed the locations in Preferences> Folders, Finale uses default files and templates in <user>/Library/Application Support/MakeMusic/Finale.

At installation, Finale creates a set of folders in the root level Library (/Library), and then copies these to the user folder on first launch. If either of these is missing, and reinstall hasn't worked, then restore from your backup.

John335

Post by John335 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:48 am

I know everything that you've said.
I've installed Finale 25's latest version on a freshly erased SS drive and I get the same problems. It can't locate the "Maestro Font Default" file.
I have now uninstalled it and reinstalled it on 2 different hard drives on my Mac Pro and also on my Mac Mini. That's 3 different hard drives on 2 different Macs and it can't find the default file.

I'm clueless...I'll see what they say when they get back to me.

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:52 am

John335 wrote:It can't locate the "Maestro Font Default" file.
1. Is it actually there (in the USER folder)?
2. Are the Preferences correctly pointing to it?

MikeHalloran
Finale Version: 27

Post by MikeHalloran » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:00 am

BuonTempi wrote:
John335 wrote:It can't locate the "Maestro Font Default" file.
1. Is it actually there (in the USER folder)?
2. Are the Preferences correctly pointing to it?
If it's in the User folder, it was not installed correctly — unless the user does not have admin privileges.

All Mac fonts should be in Library/Font. There should be none in (User)/Library/Font since OS 10.7.

Finale should always be installed on the boot drive. That you say you installed it on a clean SSD indicates that you didn't do this.

So, basics: Do you have Admin privileges on this Mac or not? If so, install Finale in the default location which is the Applications folder on your boot drive.

If Maestro Wide still isn't available, post this and I'll tell you how to fix that.
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.3, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 13.2.1; 2017 iMac Pro 18 Core, 128G RAM, 4TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer3, Dorico 4, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:00 pm

The file "Maestro Font Default" is not a font, but rather a Finale template with the Maestro font as default font.
You should look in a folder called "Default Files".
The folder Default Files also should contain a template with the Jazz font (= Jazz Font Default), and a template with the Broadway Copyist font (= Handwritten Default).

Path:
There are two paths (folder hierarchies), for two different copies
The copy at root level serves as a “backup copy” in case the copy in the user account should disappear.

Root level path:
/Library/Application Support/MakeMusic/Finale/Music Files/Default Files

User account path:
(user)/Library/Application Support/MakeMusic/Finale/Music Files/Default Files
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Mon Aug 28, 2017 3:30 am

I would firstly copy and paste the music into a fresh document, with both documents open and Windows tiled. If that solves the problem, something got corrupted in the original file and is likely to take longer to correct (if at all possible) than proof-reading the replacement document. Finale definitely does not like a lot of editing or departing from the ordinary; and it does not like imported library files or complex music.

Despite all the great help I received at this forum for the ossia as a graphic issue (disappears and cannot be re-entered if lost, which then causes Finale to hang when exiting), I still have the problem that is always solved by transferring the notation to a new document, where I can place the graphic again. I'm getting into the habit of not writing any ossia measure until the score is finished and backed up.

You did not mention if the crash occurs in all *.mus files.

John335

Post by John335 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:36 pm

BuonTempi, MikeHalloran and Peter Thomsen,
The "Maestro Font Default" file is present in both "Default Files"
The "Templates" folder is not in the "Music Files" folder in the "User" path.
Finale fonts are only in the Library/Font path folder and Maestro Wide is available.
I do have Admin privileges.
The SS drive was erased and a new copy of El Capitan was in stalled before I installed Finale 25.4

I'm thinking there's nothing on the list?

John335

Post by John335 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:38 pm

Djard,
I will try this.

John

John335

Post by John335 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:58 pm

Well Gentlemen,
Upon further scrutinization I discovered that installation applies the extension (.musx) to the Maestro Font Default file and that was missing. That's why Finale could not find the default file.
Sometimes the skills of Oppenheimer are not necessary...

Thanks for all your help.

John