UACC in Human Playback preferences (spitfire)

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

shnootre
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Mac

Post by shnootre » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:27 pm

I have learned that when I try to set up Human Playback preferences to work with Spitfire UACC controller codes (where each articulation, across the range of products, has a set controller value for controller #32) Finale sends the information a little bit too late in playback.

In other words - I've done the test of exporting a midi file from a file that had these HP settings, and opening it up in Logic. I saw that the controller messages were all coming too late to take effect at the right time.

If I manually set the controller levels it works great - but it's a drag to do, even with keyboard shortcuts created by Keyboard Maestro.

I guess my question here is, would this be considered a bug? Finale tech support has seemed entirely uninterested to help in any way with integrating third-party sample libraries (even though this would seem to be one of the most important features of the new 64-bit architecture of version 25).

It IS possible to just use standard keyswitches with the Spitfire libraries, but those libraries don't allow you to customize which articulations a given instrument loads (unlike, say, Vienna Symphonic Library), and so it's often necessary to load two or three pre-set instruments to access all the available or desired articulations for a given instrument. With UACC, you can set it up so that it seemlessly moves between instruments. So for instance, I'd load two violins patches, one with basic articulations, one with "decorative" articulations, assign them both to channel 1, and then have the UACC codes toggle between the two.

This is so close to working, but there's that pesky bug. I wonder if others have encountered a similar delay in the sending of controller data in conjunction with customized Human Playback preferences. I also wonder if this post makes any sense - it's hard to articulate this stuff in a simple way!
Dan Sonenberg
www.danielsonenberg.org
Finale 25.5
iMac Retina 5k, 27-inch, 2017. 32gb ram, and OSX 10.13.6 and MacBook pro 2018, 13", 2.7GHz Intel Core i7, 16gb ram, OSX 10.13.6
Vienna Ensemble Pro, Logic X, and lotsa samples

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:01 pm

Is there a way to present this information to MM that makes it sound like a more general bug, and not just related to the use of a third-party sound library?

shnootre
Finale Version: 25

Post by shnootre » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:47 am

Well, I submitted a report today. It is definitely a general bug, and not one that pertains specifically to any other library. I am not sure if anyone else has attempted to have the HP Preferences activate keyswitches with controller data, and if such data - on other controller lanes - was similarly delayed. If so, it would probably help my case!
Dan Sonenberg
www.danielsonenberg.org
Finale 25.5
iMac Retina 5k, 27-inch, 2017. 32gb ram, and OSX 10.13.6 and MacBook pro 2018, 13", 2.7GHz Intel Core i7, 16gb ram, OSX 10.13.6
Vienna Ensemble Pro, Logic X, and lotsa samples

muon
Finale Version: Finale 25

Post by muon » Tue May 22, 2018 10:26 pm

Is this bug fixed? or have you found a way to work around the problem?

I also would like to know how to change key switches for spitfire samples.