Any way to reposition stemless rhythm slashes?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:49 pm

I see that stemmed slashes for improvised chordal rhythm in an ensemble can be moved with the Note Position tool in Special Tools palette; but stemless slashes cannot be moved, without altering the position of the notation in the lead line at top. The only way I can move a stemless slash is to use the Beat Chart, but that option unacceptably displaces the notation in the lead line.

Without laboring with the "slashes-with-cues drum notation" option, is there a way to even up the spacing between stemless slashes in a rhythm line without affecting other instruments in an ensemble?

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:52 pm

If I get the question correctly, you are trying to move the slashes so they no longer line up with notes in the other staves.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:27 pm

You can make your own able-to-be-repositioned rhythm slashes out of regular notation. Just enter quarter notes on the middle "B" line, change the noteheads to the slash (Utilities > Change > Noteheads) and replace the stem with a blank shape using Special Tools > Custom Stem Tool. You can move these with Special Tools > Note Position Tool as usual.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

Djard

Post by Djard » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:51 am

Because the chordal slashes in the rhythm staff are connected to the beat map on which notes in the lead staff sit, the slashes in the rhythm line are not evenly spaced (unless the melody is just a series of 1/4 notes). So I want the slashes spaced evenly.

N Grossingink's option works, though I found that the notes must be written on the 4th ("G") staff line to appear in the middle. Replacing the stems individually with a blank shape is time-consuming, but at least the slashes can be evenly spaced with the Note Position Tool.

My score is 186 measures long; so if there is not a more expedient way to write evenly spaced slashes, I guess I will have to opt for stemmed slashes. And Oh my...since stemless slashes can only be removed by the "Clear All Items" feature that also removes chord names and their diagrams, I'll be in for a looooong night.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:41 am

Djard wrote:… stemless slashes can only be removed by the "Clear All Items" feature that also removes chord names and their diagrams …
That is not my experience.
I suspect that you are missing something.

I suppose that the stemless slashes are entered as a staff style, right?
When you are in the Staff Tool, you have - in the Staff menu - the options
Show Staff Styles
and
Show Staff Style Names
which will display staff styles and staff style names above the staff (but only when you are in the Staff Tool).

You can context-click on a staff style above the staff, and choose {Clear Staff Style} in the context menu.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

N Grossingink

Post by N Grossingink » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:29 pm

Djard wrote:Replacing the stems individually with a blank shape is time-consuming…
You can remove the stems over a large selected region with the "JW Change" plugin (Stems > Visibility > Hide).

N.
N. Grossingink
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

OSX 10.15.7

Djard

Post by Djard » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:55 am

The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know. I can now mange rhythm slashes, without wearing out my mouse and keyboard.

Thank you guys. I feel like I owe you royalties. I cannot thank you enough.

N Grossingink

Post by N Grossingink » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:38 pm

Djard, it would be nice to hear one of your pieces. Is there a website or You Tube video where one might go?

N.
N. Grossingink

OSX 10.15.7

Djard

Post by Djard » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:45 am

N. Thanks for your interest.

After touring Australia and Europe for 25 years, I retired from concert guitar in 1986 and went back to college to became a doctor. But I still have a passion for music. Having recently switched web host providers (to "Blue Host"), I am in the process of building a new website for my later compositions. But you can find me at MednetConnection.com, where I offer patient information about autoimmune disorders and TBI sequelae. Until I post my music on the new site, I'll be happy to e-mail you a couple of pieces recorded for EMI in London (1973) and RCA in Nashville (1979), since they are copyright protected. Message me your e-mail address, and I'll mail them to you. One of the works was an flamenco-ballad mix experiment with Elvis Presley's band and the Jordanaires, using Chet Atkins' engineers (the two Bills) that surprisingly knew a lot about eliminating the wow and flutter inherent in nylon string guitar.

I'm too frugal to copyright my new work individually, since learning that the US Copyright Office charges $35 per piece or the same fee for an entire album. So after I finish this 10th piece, I'll just get the work off to my publisher in Sydney.

Likewise, I would be interested in hearing your work, but its not obligato.

Cheers