Why do articulations shapes get duplicated?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:07 am

I created a template for flamenco guitar with all my custom lines, expressions and articulations. After deleting all duplicated items in Articulations/Shapes, Expressions and Custom Lines panels, I saved the file as a template (*.ftm file).

Before starting to write in the new document, I checked to see if there were any duplicated items in the Shape Selection panel. There were no duplicated items.

After writing some music and editing a few measures, I checked again to see if there were any duplicated items. I found that my fingering symbols as articulations for guitar were duplicated many times, but only in the Shapes panel. Now I did not import any library file while working on the document...just used what was listed in the "Articulation Selection" panel. Can anyone throw some light on why Finale keeps duplicating articulations?

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:46 am

If these Articulations are made up of Shape Expressions, and you enter them using Metatool shortcuts, a duplicate will show up in the Shapes selection. Metatool entry makes a duplicate of each shape so that each is independently adjustable. It's normal behavior as far as I know.

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:49 am

Years ago, I tried programming articulations with the Metatool for custom items but found that more often than not, the tool did not work. I followed the steps in the manual carefully, but maybe I overlooked something. So I have not used the Metatool since: if it is duplicating articulations in the library, I am lost as to how to prevent it from being active.