Page numbers for linked parts of multi-movement work

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Doug
Finale Version: 25.4.1.163
Operating System: Mac

Post by Doug » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:20 pm

I created each movement of a multi-movement work as a separate document and offset the page numbers in the score so they would be consecutive. Now as I am preparing the linked parts, which of course have fewer pages than the full score, I am finding that the page numbers are not consecutive in the parts. What's the best way to fix this without undoing the correct numbers on the full score.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:28 pm

When you unlink them from the score, you can move the part page numbers off the page in the score, and the score page numbers off the part. So, you create unique text page number items for each part and do a lot of dragging off the page.

Some users do this differently by printing to pdf and doing all that in the pdf files.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Christopher Smith
Finale Version: v.25.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by Christopher Smith » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:17 pm

In this particular case, I would do ALL page formatting as linked parts, then just before printing, extract the parts and adjust the page numbers in each part.

Normally, I prefer to do backflips rather than extract, but if all the work except page numbers is done as a linked part, then if any edits are needed then I make the adjustment, extract again, and redo the page numbers.

If the work is MANY movements, like an opera, then adding the page numbers in a PDF editor is preferable, in my opinion. You would have way too many edits to do otherwise.
Finale 2014.5 and v.25 on Mac OS 10.12.6 (Sierra)