v25 functionality w/ Retina display & Sierra OS

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Wm Heart
Finale Version: 2010 / v25?
Operating System: Mac

Post by Wm Heart » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:22 pm

Hi,

I have a large score (polished several years back in Finale 2010) which needs the parts generated. It seems "Linked Parts" is far superior to the old method of "Part Extraction". For this reason, I'm interested in upgrading to v25. However, I'm alarmed by widespread reports of 'sluggishness' & other problems when running the application in Sierra—especially with a retina monitor.

In order to upgrade to v25, I will need to purchase a new computer & would like to have a retina monitor for general use if possible.
Does v25 continue to have performance issues under Sierra with a retina monitor?
Also, if I opt for a notebook, I might purchase & hook it up to a widescreen monitor—"if" advisable, (e.g. LG 34-Inch 21:9 UltraWide).
My choices presently are to purchase:
1) iMac 27" w/ retina display / Sierra
2) MacBook w/ retina display / Sierra
3) MacBook w/ Standard Display / Sierra

*Does anyone have info about the functionality of a widescreen monitor when used with a MacBook—Either with, or Without a retina display? (i.e. would sluggishness in the rendering on a retina system translate into sluggishness on an external widescreen monitor; and would the host computer's specification of "retina vs/ non-retina have a discernible effect?

Thanks! Wm

Mac OS & Finale 2010 upgrade to v25?

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:28 pm

I have a 27" Apple Thunderbolt Display, and Finale is generally very responsive. Some (but not all) large documents are a little slower when scrolling with a selection.
There are problems with performance on Retina displays -- but what "other problems" have you heard about?

Linked Parts were introduced in 2007, and 2010 definitely has the feature, though there have been some improvements since then.

Wm Heart

Post by Wm Heart » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:17 pm

Thanks for your reply!

I am taken aback at learning that indeed "2010" incorporates 'linked parts'.
I haven't used Finale for quite some time & acquired "2010" when it came out so as to notate a couple of piano fantasies I was then working on. As these were solo piano pieces, I didn't need to generate parts. The previous version of Finale that I owned was from @ 2005 which, I'm thinking, was indeed pre-linking of parts.

I mistakenly thought that linked parts appeared in "2012" and am pleased to find that the feature is in fact included in my "2010".

Pertaining to 'other problems' I've heard some users complain about when using v25 with a retina monitor—or under Sierra, they seem to be primarily performance oriented or relating to crashes. But perhaps these are somewhat isolated examples. It sounds as though your experience, using a Thunderbolt monitor, has been quite reliable!

Thanks for enlightening me as to the existence of part linking in 2010.

Now, I'm curious as to whether there are enough (vital or important) enhancements in Finale since 2010 to justify updating to v25? In order to run v25, I would need to purchase new computer hardware, as I want to maintain my current iMac as is—under OS10.6.8

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:25 pm

No one ever comments that their train was on time; only that their train was late. People don't post on forums about how their computer is working fine. I dare say you can find complaints about Finale 2010.

If your current Mac is still running 10.6 (superseded by 10.7 six years ago), then you can't run Finale 25. Of course, hardware doesn't last forever, and one day, you will have to upgrade. The last iMac to run on Snow Leopard was Mid 2011, so your Mac is six years old. You may be able to use it for another 4 years, though who knows whether the latest web sites will work in old browsers, and whether you can still get any software for it.

For me, I find Finale 25 has fixed many bugs and made many improvements. There's still work to be done, for sure.

Wm Heart

Post by Wm Heart » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:47 am

Your point about late trains is well taken; and indeed, hardware doesn't last forever—I'm on my 5th Mac to date....
Thanks again for the input!

jdpmus
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by jdpmus » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:34 pm

I spent the past ten years using a MacBook Pro with a 24" external monitor. It has served me well and I still us just the laptop with Finale 2014.5 (laptop is too old to run Sierra). I purchased a 27'" Retina iMac last fall and installed F25 along with Garrison JBBB and Logic. I have had nothing but flawless operation with this configuration now almost a year on. We'll see this fall how it works with High Sierra when it is released.

I think laptops help if you have to meet clients, use it in the studio, or for quick music production in the field. The desktop machines are usually faster and offer more options for peripherals such as audio breakout boxes, trackballs, etc. I finally hit my stride with the old laptop about 9 years ago when I purchased a quality bluetooth keyboard and mouse to keep from hand cramping during long sessions. I still use that keyboard on the new iMac as it has a number pad built in and it "feels" more like a keyboard compared to the slim job that comes with the new desktops. I also use my trackpad in place of a mouse as I have become comfortable with it when writing over the years.

YMMV

MikeHalloran
Finale Version: 27

Post by MikeHalloran » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:42 pm

Since 5K iMacs are becoming common as are 5K monitors, MM will have to address this once and for all. Whether it's in another update to 25 or in the next version, no one is saying.

Per MM, you can run 25 in 'low res' mode — whatever that really means — as a workaround till then. I am looking at possibly upgrading to a 5K iMac in December or January and will not let this issue prevent me from doing so. My 2010 and 2011 iMacs still run the latest Mac OS so I am not in a big hurry.

BTW, in June, Apple announced their own wireless extended keyboard with a numeric pad (it's about time!). Yes, there are a couple of 3rd party alternatives but the Apple is very nice.

My Magic Trackpad was ok... pretty good, actually. The Magic Trackpad 2 is miles beyond and I'm glad I upgraded.
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.4.1, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 14.5 (public beta); 2023 Studio M2 Ultra, 192G RAM, 8TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer4, Dorico 5, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro

Carl777
Finale Version: 2014.5

Post by Carl777 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:19 pm

Hi, I'm an iMac user and have been using the same machine for the the past 10 years.

I'm finally looking at getting a new iMac and would like to know if any one has had experience with the magic mouse II and magic trackpad II on Finale. My current mouse has left a lot to be desired and am curious about the trackpad but the Mac dealers tell me the mouse is better than the trackpad for precise task such as entering scores in Finale. Any recommendations?

Bill Stevens
Finale Version: Using 26, testing 27

Post by Bill Stevens » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:02 pm

I use both and would have a hard time picking one or the other.

Bill
Version 26.3 / 27.4 / Mac OS 10.15.5 Catalina
Finale user since the beginning of time.

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:29 am

Carl777 wrote:but the Mac dealers tell me the mouse is better than the trackpad for precise task such as entering scores in Finale. Any recommendations?
For the precise task of note entry, I would recommend using the computer keyboard, over either the mouse or trackpad. :lol: Using the pointer to position notes is indeed fiddly and much easier done by pressing buttons.
Other than that, I use the Apple Magic Trackpad and have no desire to use a mouse ever again. There is a bit of a knack to using the "double-click, hold and drag" for things like Smart Shapes, but once you work out a technique, it's easy. If you prefer the Trackpad, then use it.

MikeHalloran
Finale Version: 27

Post by MikeHalloran » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:00 am

BuonTempi wrote:
Carl777 wrote:but the Mac dealers tell me the mouse is better than the trackpad for precise task such as entering scores in Finale. Any recommendations?
For the precise task of note entry, I would recommend using the computer keyboard, over either the mouse or trackpad. :lol: Using the pointer to position notes is indeed fiddly and much easier done by pressing buttons.
Other than that, I use the Apple Magic Trackpad and have no desire to use a mouse ever again. There is a bit of a knack to using the "double-click, hold and drag" for things like Smart Shapes, but once you work out a technique, it's easy. If you prefer the Trackpad, then use it.
As good as the Magic Trackpad was (pretty good, actually), the Magic Trackpad II blows it away. It's hard to describe exactly how but it does—and not just because you can charge it with a lightening cable while in use.

The Magic Trackpad II requires OS 10.11 or later.

The late 2009 iMac (27" and 21.5") is the earliest version that can run Sierra or High Sierra. The early 2009 (24" and 21") cannot run later than El Capitan.

The Magic Mouse II lacks some of the functionality of the MT II and cannot be operated while charging (what was Apple thinking?). The 1st gen MM was never an option for me though my daughters like it.
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.4.1, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 14.5 (public beta); 2023 Studio M2 Ultra, 192G RAM, 8TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer4, Dorico 5, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro