Any way to transpose pitch of guitar chords?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:01 am

With respect to guitar chords (I use only for checking my work), the developers of Finale overlooked the fact that the instrument sounds an octave lower than written. As a result, playback of chords added with the Chord Tool sound like they come from a toy music box. Is there a way to drop the playback pitch of guitar chords by an octave to correct the error? I tried the JW plugin, but it does not work for me:

1. Selection Tool -> click in first measure with chords -> scroll to end measure -> hold down "Shift" -> click in end measuree.
3. Plug-ins (upper text menu) -> Favorite Plugins -> JW Change.
4. Scroll down and expand "Chord Symbols" -> scroll down and select "Transpose Down."
5. From "TRansposition Interval" drop-down menu, select "Octave."
6. From "Chords" drop-down menu, select "All" -> Apply -> OK.

Did I miss a step, or do I need to write a line just for chords?

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:08 am

I believe the transpose is for the name of the chord, not the playback. The playback is defined in the chord suffix definition. The only way to get the playback an octave lower is by manually changing the playback definition for each of the types of chords used (the suffixes). I have forgotten if it is easy to find and change the Major Triad playback, as there isn't actually a suffix.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Djard » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:30 pm

Thank you heaps for pointing me in the right direction. When editing chord diagrams, an option is given to create an instrument with playback and set it as the default. I dropped all the values by 12, so that the playback will sound as if the chord is written in the correct register--i.e. C3 sounds like C3 in concert pitch.

String...Pitch.....Default
1.........52 (E3)...64 (E4)
2.........47 (B2)...59 (B3)
3.........43 (G2)...55 (G3)
4.........38 (D2)...50 (D3)
5.........33 (A1)...45 (A2)
6.........28 (E1)...40 (E2)

The playback of chord diagrams includes a little rumble, like in the lower register of a piano; but this artifact (for guitar) is quite acceptable. Now if only there were a way to apply the setting to all the existing chords in my score. Presently, I have to edit each chord definition individually but only a check of the "Fretboard" box in the "Play" section; but my score is 62 pages long. Sigh!