Invalid Paper Size

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

CMoncur
Finale Version: Finale 26.3.1 Mac
Operating System: Mac

Post by CMoncur » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:42 am

I'm having a problem printing to an odd paper size. I usually print parts to 9.5 x 12.5. I've never had a problem before. I've set up custom paper sizes and have not changed anything about the way I print...EXCEPT... I just installed a printer on my new computer (I didn't have one before) that won't support a paper size this large. I'm only printing to pdf so that doesn't bother me but I'm wondering if the fact that this printer is the one selected when I go to print to pdf could be the problem. I don't have any other printers installed so I can't choose a different one. I don't understand why this would be a problem because I'm not physically printing anything but it's the only thing I can think of. (For the record I just tried printing a tabloid score using the regular page size and it wouldn't work either. So it's clearly not my custom sizes.

Thanks in advance!
Finale 26.3.1, Mac OS X 13.6.3

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Michel R E » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:31 am

if you're printing to PDF then don't select a printer. select the PDF creator you're using.

When I print to PDF, I use Adobe, and in the print dialogue I choose that as my "printer".

if the correct paper size is not available in the drop down list of whatever printer driver you're using, then create a "custom" size.
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.

CMoncur

Post by CMoncur » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:56 am

Thanks for the quick reply!

I guess I should be more clear. I don't have a PDF printer. In the drop box to select a printer I only have the option for the one printer I have installed or to add another printer.

I print to PDF using the button at the bottom left that says save as PDF (with options to open in Preview etc.) Maybe having a dedicated PDF printer is the solution so I guess my question has become which is the best (and hopefully free) printer to do this?

I used to own acrobat pro but got a new computer and can't find the installer and really not interested in the subscription version I believe adobe offers now!

CMoncur

Post by CMoncur » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:59 am

I also just saw that you are on windows so probably don't have the option to print to PDF without a dedicated printer but on mac's my understanding was that the feature was built in so why should I have to have a dedicated PDF printer.

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:42 am

CMoncur wrote:I also just saw that you are on windows so probably don't have the option to print to PDF without a dedicated printer but on mac's my understanding was that the feature was built in so why should I have to have a dedicated PDF printer.
Making a PDF on a Mac is still part of the printing process, and you do need to have a printer selected, and that printer's characteristics can affect the output.
You can create a dummy "generic" printer, and see if that improves things.
Finale still has a "Page Setup" menu item, which doesn't seem to do anything -- the paper size needs to be set within the print menu.

You could try using Finale's Graphic Tool to export PDFs. Some people (though not all) have better results using that that the print menu.

MikeHalloran
Finale Version: 27

Post by MikeHalloran » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:13 am

Tell us what printer you bought, your Mac and what OS you are running.

There might be an actual solution to your problem. Don't make us guess.
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.4.1, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 14.5 (public beta); 2023 Studio M2 Ultra, 192G RAM, 8TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer4, Dorico 5, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro

mmcferron
Finale Version: 26

Post by mmcferron » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:34 am

I know this is somewhat an old thread, but this issue just appeared for me in ver.26 on Mac Mojave, so I'm posting a solution in case it happens to others. Here's one possible workaround/solution. Perhaps there's a more elegant approach but this is quick and it worked for me :D

Create a printer that doesn't physically exist on your Mac:
1) Choose "System Preferences" from the Apple menu
2) Choose Printers & Scanners
3) Click the "+" button to add a new printer, then select "IP" in the subsequent window.
4) For the address, type in 127.0.0.1. You can change the "name" of the virtual printer to anything you want (e.g., forPDF) For the driver, use the Generic PostScript Printer (default)
5) Click Add
6) Click continue when you get the alert that the computer is unable to verify the printer on the network.
7) Click OK

When you go to print a PDF with a custom size or a size that isn't available through your printer driver, choose the virtual printer in the dropdown menu on the printer dialog box. That's it!

johnwassonmusic
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by johnwassonmusic » Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:23 pm

Thank you SO much for this advice--it worked perfectly. Nothing like needing to get a score out to a client via email and not being able to create the 11x17 pdf!

John Wasson
Composer - Arranger - Producer - Performer
the Strata Big Band
John Wasson
Composer•Arranger•Producer•Performer
XOBrass Trombone Artist
Director of the Strata Big Band
on tour with the Dallas Brass

Ian Stewart
Finale Version: 26.3

Post by Ian Stewart » Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:55 pm

Surely the simplest (and in my opinion best) way to do this is:

Page Layout->Page Size and choose *Custom* from the drop down menu and enter the dimensions

Graphics->Export Pages and choose PDF from the drop down menu

You may have to go to Finale Preferences and in the Edit section change the Measurement Units to inches - I assume that's what you are using.

Apologies if I have misunderstood the question.
Finale 26.3/Dorico 3.5
Patterson Plug-Ins/TGTools
Garritan COMB/Personal Orchestra 5
MacOS Mojave (10.14.6)
www.ianstewart.xyz