Adding layers to a stave

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

compassguy
Finale Version: Finale 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by compassguy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:49 pm

Version 2014
Windows

I have some choral TTBB sheet music that currently has 2 staves - tenor 1, tenor 2, baritone on stave 1 and bass on stave 2. I have imported it into Finale using .tifs. The imported music is all in layer 1. My preference is to assign tenor 1 to layer 1, tenor 2 to layer 2, baritone to layer 3 and bass to layer 4, and maintain all 4 layers in only 2 staves, with tenor 1 with stems up in stave 1, tenor 2 with stems down in stave 1, baritone with stems up in stave 2 and bass with stems down in stave 2. Our chorus is used to sheet music with this configuration which is easiest for the members to read.

To accomplish this, I have temporarily added 2 more instruments so that I have 4 staves to work with. I have copied the contents of stave 1 into the added staves (I will call them staves 2 and 3), and for stave 2 moved the contents to layer 2 and for stave 3, moved the contents into layer 3. The contents of stave 4 (bass) have been moved to layer 4.

Then in stave 1, I have deleted the tenor 2 and baritone notes, in stave 2, I have deleted the tenor 1 and baritone notes and in stave 3, I have deleted the tenor 1 and 2 notes, leaving me with 4 staves, each with a single voice part with the stems pointing in the direction I want.

Now what I want to do is have tenor 1 and tenor 2 on stave 1 and baritone and bass on stave 4, and be able to delete my temporary staves 2 and 3. I tried to copy the contents of stave 2 and combine it with the contents of stave 1, but when I do the cut and paste, the contents of stave 1 are replaced by the contents of stave 2, not combined with them.

The attached file the structure of the existing music and the revised way I want it to appear. Is there a way to accomplish this or perhaps a simpler way that I haven't thought of?

TIA
David

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:07 pm

Firstly, there is an easy way to do this using JW Staff Polyphony plug-in. You can split chords into Layers with one click.
If you're not using these, you should!
http://finaletips.nu/index.php/download

Secondly, you need to use "Show Active Layer Only" in the Document menu. That allows you to copy individual layers without over-writing the others.

Implode Music will also work to combine music on different staves together.

compassguy
Finale Version: Finale 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by compassguy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:28 pm

Thank you so much! Showing only active layer didn't occur to me. :oops:

I have downloaded the plug-in you suggested and will start to play with it to learn its capabilities.

Thanks again,
David

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:43 pm

My recommendation is to score Tenor 1 and 2 in layers 1 and 2 on the top staff, and bari and bass in layers 1 and 2 on the bottom. There is no need to use layers 3 and 4 for this. Layers one and two are preset to have the stems, ties and slurs go in the correct positions. Since three and four are generally only used in more complex music (piano, organ, harp, guitar, etc.) details like that are left to the user.

When I'm asked about problems with ties and slurs in 4 part/2 staff music, I can pretty much guarantee that layer 3 and 4 are the culprits!

BT is 100% correct about JW Staff Polyphony. I could not live without without it. (Well, I could, but it would sure be difficult!)

I would further suggest that you do this work in scroll view. It's MUCH easier to follow what you're doing. Once you're dinished, then take it back to page view for layout.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society