A quicker way to write rhythm slashes with chord playback?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Djard » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:25 pm

In the attached document, I used the Custom Line tool to create rhythm slashes that are movable and allow guitar fretboard diagram playback. I had to write rests over the existing rests in order to mass-hide them with the Plug-in. The steps for hiding rests in the Finale manual did not work for me (Ctrl + click on rest). I seek an alternative to the Staff Tool option for rhythm slashes because the staff tool maps the slashes to the uneven beat pattern in a lead line above the rhythm line.

By setting the Vertical Line Adjustment in Custom Line tool, I am able to enter the individual slashes with consistency, dragging along the middle staff line. But is there a way to adjust the spacing between the slashes in the Custom Line settings, so that dragging the cursor across the staff line would automatically give the desired number of slashes per measure, already evenly spaced?
Attachments
Rhythm Slashes.mus
(221.78 KiB) Downloaded 162 times

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:19 am

For what you are trying to do, creating an expression would be much, much easier. Did you try that? Then you could get precise positioning, no rests, and the ability to easily adjust position if need be.

Zuill
Attachments
Rhythm Slashes Expressions.mus
(222.47 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Djard

Post by Djard » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:46 am

Yes, I had already tried the Expression tool, hoping I could create preset shapes, wherewith I could enter a measure of slashes at one time, making one for 3/4, 4/4 etc. But I could not find a slash.

I see that you used the font Maestro, regular, 24 pt. I hit every key on my keyboard...no such slash in my version. I looked in Windows' Fonts folder, viewing the contents of each font file....nothing like what you have. What key, or combination of keys did you press? Was it one of the Alt + number characters?

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:52 pm

Character 213 is the big slash. You could type alt-0213. I just used the Insert/Symbol method.

You cant apply it to a measure en masse. However, I suppose you could copy/paste. The easiest way would be to create a metatool and quickly click it in. That would be pretty easy.

To hide the default whole rest, I created and applied a Staff Style with that checkbox unchecked.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Djard

Post by Djard » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:40 pm

That worked. Thank you sooooo much. I created a group for 3/4 and 4/4, etc, so that I would not need to enter the slashes individually, and the spacing remains uniform if I edit the expression. The copy and paste of staves further saves time. I'm one happy Finale user.