PrintMusic and NotePad for Mac discontinued!

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by N Grossingink » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:09 pm

raphael wrote:Does this mean that if I upgrade to High Sierra and then forward a newly created .mus file to someone who only has NotePad 2012 on his/her PC or Mac, he/she will not be able to use it as before?

I'm confused…

raphael
If you use Finale 2012, there is no way to know whether it will still work on High Sierra so update at your own risk. If you use 2014.5 or Finale 25, you can export a file in 2012 format to send to your friend (File Menu > Export > Finale 2012).

N.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

MikeHalloran
Finale Version: 27

Post by MikeHalloran » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:13 am

N Grossingink wrote:
raphael wrote:Does this mean that if I upgrade to High Sierra and then forward a newly created .mus file to someone who only has NotePad 2012 on his/her PC or Mac, he/she will not be able to use it as before?

I'm confused…

raphael
If you use Finale 2012, there is no way to know whether it will still work on High Sierra so update at your own risk. If you use 2014.5 or Finale 25, you can export a file in 2012 format to send to your friend (File Menu > Export > Finale 2012).

N.
Since Finale 2012 barely works in OS 10.10 – 10.12 as it is, past time to upgrade to 25.

Going forward, those who use Notepad as a free Finale reader will be able to use the demo for 25 pretty much the same way. You won't be able to save any revisions or print except for screen shots without purchase.
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.4.1, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 14.5 (public beta); 2023 Studio M2 Ultra, 192G RAM, 8TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer4, Dorico 5, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro

MikeHalloran

Post by MikeHalloran » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:23 am

zuill wrote:I think programs already installed will continue to function. However, I don't know for sure.

Zuill
And no one will know till it's released — even the beta testers.
Mike Halloran

MacOS Ventura 14.5 (public beta); 2023 Studio M2 Ultra, 192G RAM, 8TB; 2021 MBAir M1

MikeHalloran

Post by MikeHalloran » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:55 am

BuonTempi wrote:
Anders Hedelin wrote:BuonTempi, how do you explain that Apple doesn't give you the opportunity to run Finale 25 on OS 10.8 while Windows does so with an 'older' system like W 7?
Without seeing MM's code, it's impossible to say. However, while Apple don't change existing APIs, they do add new ones, and so it's possible that Finale uses newer code that won't run on earlier versions. So older apps, if written correctly, should work on newer machines, but newer code won't work on older ones.
In many cases, the older apps will run if the OS is updated but they won't install after a certain OS build. Finale 2011 and 2012 won't install properly after 10.9 but run (if barely). Many installers such as Office 2008 and many Adobe products haven't worked since 10.10 but I still use Elements 6, Office 2008 and Acrobat Pro X in Sierra without problems.

In some cases, I have newer versions but prefer the older. I bought Office 2011 when 2008 performed so poorly in Mountain Lion. In El Capitan, however, it ran better than ever so I removed 2011 which I never liked. In Sierra, I found that disabling App Napp globally kept 2008 alive for me. I understand that the beta testers are having major problems with the current version of Office so I won't update till some version works. My test drive has both 2008 and 2011 on it as well as the older Finale and Adobe apps I own. If I get lucky and 2008 or 2011 still works over High Sierra, I'll update. I really don't care about the older MakeMusic products since I have 25 but I will test.

If my older Adobe apps no longer function, I'll be disappointed but it won't prevent me from updating. I have Elements 15. I do not look forward to updating Acrobat Pro if it no longer works but I will bite the bullet if it doesn't. It saves me way too much time compared to Preview for me to do without.

For those who insist on staying with older OS, I have this advice: Keep those computers off of the internet. Security is the driving factor behind much of what is happening, both Mac and Windows. I don't care about your reasons for not upgrading (really, they do not interest me at all) but the internet has become a scary place when it comes to the safety of your data and personal information. Apple and Microsoft are doing what they can but only the current OS has all the latest features.
Mike Halloran

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3

Post by David Ward » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:20 am

The feeling I get from articles such as this https://eclecticlight.co/2017/09/10/las ... n-trouble/, which I regard as a supremely well-informed source, is that it might be wise to delay up-dating computers currently running Sierra to the new OS for a month or two until things have settled down.
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:12 am

Certainly the new file system is an additional factor from usual, though it's optional to implement, as long as you don't click blindly through the installer.

It's always been good advice to wait a little while before installing the new OS (though obviously someone has to try it for that to work). Even with developers, seed testers, and a million public beta testers all trying the software, there can be some surprises or shocks on release day. ("Don't they test these things?")

High Sierra, like Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion, supposedly has an emphasis on bug fixes, stability and performance. But software is never really finished. There's always more work to do. :lol:
You're on 25, so MM's blog suggests you'll be fine. You can export a .mus file to someone else: if they are running NotePad, they'll need to stay on an earlier OS.

MikeHalloran

Post by MikeHalloran » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:29 pm

David Ward wrote:The feeling I get from articles such as this https://eclecticlight.co/2017/09/10/las ... n-trouble/, which I regard as a supremely well-informed source, is that it might be wise to delay up-dating computers currently running Sierra to the new OS for a month or two until things have settled down.
Ah yes, the sky is falling ... again... It always is for him.

zzzzzzzzz
Mike Halloran

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3

Post by David Ward » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:08 pm

MikeHalloran wrote:… …Ah yes, the sky is falling ... again... It always is for him.
Without exception, every single one of the very many bits of advice and help I have received directly from him on a variety of Mac problems over many years has been 100% reliable, succinct and easy to apply. For a computer ignoramus like me, this is wonderful. What I need, and invariably get from him (usually by e-mail), is advice that I can follow with ease and which works. (Specifically for Mac problems, he has no knowledge of Finale.)
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

raphael
Finale Version: Finale 26.3

Post by raphael » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:27 pm

BuonTempi wrote:
You're on 25, so MM's blog suggests you'll be fine. You can export a .mus file to someone else: if they are running NotePad, they'll need to stay on an earlier OS.
Thanks for this. Here's hoping.

raphael

MikeHalloran

Post by MikeHalloran » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:37 pm

David Ward wrote:
MikeHalloran wrote:… …Ah yes, the sky is falling ... again... It always is for him.
Without exception, every single one of the very many bits of advice and help I have received directly from him on a variety of Mac problems over many years has been 100% reliable, succinct and easy to apply. For a computer ignoramus like me, this is wonderful. What I need, and invariably get from him (usually by e-mail), is advice that I can follow with ease and which works. (Specifically for Mac problems, he has no knowledge of Finale.)
I'm glad that he emails you good advice but that article is terrible.

It states that the new file system won't work on HHDs and Fusion drives so it won't install on them!!!!!! Uh... that's actually good news. Really, it is.

I don't do HHDs except for Time Machine and will never, ever recommend a Fusion drive to anyone, ever. None of my customers have them. I'm not worried except for the possibility that Office isn't compatible and, if it isn't, I'll hold off.
Mike Halloran