Whole bar rests in Rhythmic Notation staff style

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

apkyburz
Finale Version: 26 (+TG, Pattsn, JW)
Operating System: Mac

Post by apkyburz » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:43 pm

Hello Forum,

I'm getting strange whole bar rests in Rhythmic Notation.

Notation in other layers is not enabled in the "define staff styles" window

Anybody been through this?

Occurs on Finale 25, Mac.

Thanks,
A. P.
Attachments
Thingy.png
Thingy.png (238.36 KiB) Viewed 4358 times

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:17 pm

I suggest that you attach a (small) Finale sample document here.

Without an actual Finale document to examine we can only guess.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

apkyburz

Post by apkyburz » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:20 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote:I suggest that you attach a (small) Finale sample document here.

Without an actual Finale document to examine we can only guess.
That makes sense. Attached an extract.

Best,
A. P.
Attachments
Sample.musx
(106.6 KiB) Downloaded 124 times

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by zuill » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:45 pm

Very odd file. There are 19 staves at that place in the score and in other measures in the score. I don't see them in the score manager or Scroll view. I've tried to figure out what's up, but it escapes me.

Anyway, all 19 of those staves are overlapping each other at the point in question. The whole rest you see is from the other 18 staves. You might try deleting those other staves. I haven't even tried that yet, so not sure if these ghost staves are able to be deleted.

Zuill

P.S.: I tried to delete them, but in doing so, it deletes all the staves in the score.
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:48 pm

Now the file crashes Finale. Definitely a corrupt file. You might want to start over. I wouldn't trust this file.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

apkyburz

Post by apkyburz » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:55 pm

zuill wrote:Now the file crashes Finale. Definitely a corrupt file. You might want to start over. I wouldn't trust this file.

Zuill
I have just found the same thing.

I was able to delete the mess without crashing Finale.

Best,
A. P.

Conductor Paul
Finale Version: 2012

Post by Conductor Paul » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:01 am

I am having the same or at least very similar problem: There appear to be other staves merged together, and this makes whole bar rests as well as other rests appear in the background behind actual notes. I have tried deleting the content of a measure, but when I enter new notes there are still those same persistent whole bar rests in the back. It looks like there are multi layers, however, when I select "Show active layer only" both of those elements still appear in the same layer.

What was also strange was that there were about a dozen random staff names to the left such as [Staff 18] [Staff 15] etc. I finally got those staff names to disappear when I un-selected "Show default staff names: from the staff menu. I still think however that there may be some correlation between those extra names having appeared and there being these extra layers of rests in the background.

By the way, when I go to the staff menu and select "Hide empty staves" it actually deletes some of the staves which really have music in them along with rests in the background. So that doesn't help.

Perhaps it is worth noting that these extra background rests only appear when in "Page view" and when I export to PDF. These extra rests however are not visible when in "Scroll view". (!?!?)

Something has gone terribly wrong, and ghost staves have been created. Please help me attempt to eliminate these extra layers.

How did any of you delete those rests??

This is a very large and complicated file with a deadline coming up soon. I simply can not start over.

thanks!

Conductor Paul
Finale Version: 2012

Post by Conductor Paul » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:39 am

Luckily, I had a previous version of that file saved, and I was able to copy and paste enough from both to make a new version free of those errors. The only lesson here is to save multiple copies throughout various stages of your work. That one file is so screwed up that I wasted a whole evening trying to edit it.