Triplets

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Saxydragons
Finale Version: Finale 2014
Operating System: Windows

Post by Saxydragons » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:51 pm

Ok, so I have some music that has a BUNCH of mixed note triplets in it. For example:
1 quarter 2 16ths
1 quarter 1 8th

While using the help button and using the link below, I was able to get the 1 quarter 1 8th triplet taken care of. Now I'm stuck on the 1 quarter 2 16th triplet. I tried to use the same suggestion in the help button but it will not populate the popup once I put in the quarter and 1 16th. I have read, reread, and read again the triplet section of Help. I have even tried looking around a bit for other areas for triplets, I'm either overlooking it (because I have been looking for so long) or it really isn't there.

https://usermanuals.finalemusic.com/Fin ... %20triplet

Thank you for all the help everyone!
Tamara
Clarinet

Bill Stevens
Finale Version: Using 26, testing 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by Bill Stevens » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:03 pm

Exactly what steps are you doing which then don't work, and are you using Simple or Speedy Entry?

Bill
Version 26.3 / 27.4 / Mac OS 10.15.5 Catalina
Finale user since the beginning of time.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:32 pm

In Speedy entry it's very easy--type ctrl-1 followed by Enter, which sets of for three eighths in the space of two. Then enter your quarter plus eighth, or quarter plus two sixteenths. In Simple entry, enter your quarter note, then press alt-keypad9, and pick three eighths in the space of two and press OK. You should have an eighth rest left over. If you want to enter two sixteenths, delete the eighth rest first.

You can check the "make this the default rest" box and from then on enter a whole bunch of them by pressing keypad9 first (no alt-), then entering the notes (no need to delete eighth rests in this case). Press ctrl-keypad9 to get out of this triplet mode.

Some people have complicated schemes wherein they backup and replace notes, but none of that is really necessary with the above steps.

Saxydragons

Post by Saxydragons » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:28 am

Bill - I'm using these instructions which are straight from the Help section...

By default, the Simple Entry Tuplet tool will use the duration of the first note to define the triplet. If you want to create an eighth note triplet starting with a quarter note, you’ll need to use the following technique.

1. Choose the Simple Entry tool . The Simple Entry Palette appears.
2. Choose the Quarter Note tool on the Simple Entry Palette.
3. Click in the staff where you want your quarter-eighth triplet to appear.
4. Press ALT+9 to display the Simple Entry Tuplet Definition dialog box.
5. Type 3 in the first text box and 2 in the second text box. From both drop-down menus, select Eighth(s).
6. Click OK. The triplet appears with an eighth rest.
7. Replace the eighth rest with an eighth note in the usual manner.

You can use this same method to create other tuplets, for example, a sixteenth-note sextuplet that begins with an eighth note.

Motet - I tried to get the 16s to populate and followed your instructions, however the 2nd 16th will not populate. When I get out of that measure to go to the next measure, a 32nd rest populates where the 2nd 16th should go.

See attachment.
Attachments
TestTriplets.musx
(85.51 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
Tamara
Clarinet

Saxydragons

Post by Saxydragons » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:31 am

I just figured it out!!! I had to uncheck "check for extra notes" in the simple entry options. Once I did that, I got the 2nd 16th note to populate!!!!
Tamara
Clarinet

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:56 am

You're right! If you want to put a quarter + two 16ths triplet at the end of a bar, you need to turn off check for extra notes AND use mouse entry. Using QWERTY entry gives the following, regardless of "check for extra notes." Yet another Finale bug. Note that it doesn't in fact check for extra notes, which is supposed to warn you.

My apologies for misleading you. I'm not much of a Simple Entry user. Bravo for finding a work-around.
Attachments
0390.png
0390.png (114.52 KiB) Viewed 3720 times

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:15 am

This is a long-standing and known bug. Shame on MakeMusic for not fixing it.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."