Finale 25.4 crashes with 4K monitor SOLVED

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Gilberto Rey
Finale Version: FINALE 27.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by Gilberto Rey » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:18 am

I am posting this to perhaps help someone with the same issues I had with my 4K monitor. I have no idea why it works, but it does. Perhaps I am telling something that everyone already knew. If so, please forgive my ignorance.

I recently bought a new PC and a 32'' 4K monitor. It is a treat to work with Finale on it since I can have 2½ pages in actual size on the screen which means a lot less moving around with the right mouse button.

However, Finale 25.4. is the only software installed that crashes on me every 10th or 15th minute. It never did that on my old PC. Not once. Finale has also been extremely sluggish and slow on this powerful PC. Updating/refreshing the screen was painfully slow. If you look at my setup in my signature, that shouldn't happen!

Solution (for me at least), and what I wanted to share with you: Right click on the Finale icon and select Properties/Compatibility. Tick "Override high DPI scaling behavior" Let the Application perform it. Apply and OK. Now, when opening Finale, it looks exactly the same in resolution but it is considerably snappier and hasn't crashed on me for several days and hours of working with scores. I hope it stays that way...

See attachment

Anyways, I just wanted to share this if someone else has this problem. 4K monitors are getting more and more popular and affordable so I reckon this might help any future users until MakeMusic makes their software compatible with high resolution screens.

All the best,
Gilberto
Attachments
Properties-Finale.PNG
Properties-Finale.PNG (34.64 KiB) Viewed 2198 times
Finale 27.3
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
“Life is a disease: sexually transmitted, and invariably fatal.”
- Neil Gaiman -

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by David Ward » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:16 am

Does anyone know the Mac equivalent? Is it just Get Info>Open in Low Resolution? Or is there something better?
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:19 pm

David Ward wrote:Does anyone know the Mac equivalent? Is it just Get Info>Open in Low Resolution? Or is there something better?
Yes, that's it. Some Mac users (though not all) also report similar problems on high-res "Retina" displays, and that's the fix.

Keep sending data into MM and they can hopefully fix it.