Attach to Beats Remove

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Gilberto Rey
Finale Version: FINALE 27.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by Gilberto Rey » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:53 am

Hi,

How do I disable the Smart Shape "Dashed Bracket Tool" (and all other lines/Smart shapes) from attaching to beats in Finale 25.4? There is a tick in the sub menu but I cannot disable it by clicking it!? It is "locked". Clicking it, doesn't remove it. See image.
Attach-to-Beats.png
Attach-to-Beats.png (32.01 KiB) Viewed 3723 times
Is there somewhere else I must do this? I have looked everywhere and the Online Help wasn't much of a "help" so I turn to you guys.

Thanks in advance,
Gilberto
Finale 27.3
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
“Life is a disease: sexually transmitted, and invariably fatal.”
- Neil Gaiman -

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:35 am

Gilberto Rey,

We need more info.

The better we understand, the better we can help.

* Is the issue layout or playback - or both?

* What is the problem you are trying to solve by de-selecting “Attach to Beats”?

* What, exactly, are you trying to do, - and why?

Instead of de-selecting “Attach to Beats” there might be a completely different solution to your problem.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Gilberto Rey

Post by Gilberto Rey » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:06 am

Thanks Peter,

First: thank you for letting me post here after being inactive for so long. There is an issue though. I cannot post, nor reply, when I am signed in. Only when I am signed out!? When signed in, there is no "New topic" or "Post a Reply" button anywhere to be seen. If I sign out, it shows up! And when I click it, I can sign in and post/reply. Is that as it should be? I thought it would be the other way around... the buttons will be there when signed in not otherwise.

Secondly: it is a layout related issue only. When I use the Dashed bracket tool to draw a dashed line above a staff, I don't want it to attach to a beat. I want it to start (and end) where I click the mouse and let it go again. I want to de-select the "Attach to Beat" so I can control it's behavior myself.
attach-beat.PNG
attach-beat.PNG (212.96 KiB) Viewed 3713 times
This is what happens (see image) with it selected. I have to manually move/shorten the dashed line after I attached it, so it does not collide with my articulation. And why can't I de-select the tick in the sub menu? Why is there a tick if i can't de-select it in the first place.

Thanks,
Gilberto
Finale 27.3
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
- Neil Gaiman -

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3

Post by David Ward » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:26 am

Some types of Smart Shape, including the dashed line in your example, only have the option of attaching to beats, others can be attached to either beats or notes, hence the menu choices.

Have you tried selecting and then deselecting ‘Snap When Attaching to Beats’? The behaviour you are describing suggests that that is selected.

There are also various options in Finale>Preferences>Edit which may or may not be of help.
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

Gilberto Rey

Post by Gilberto Rey » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:54 am

Dear David,

Thank you! That did the trick! I had ‘Snap When Attaching to Beats’ deselected, as seen on my first post, but I selected it and deselected it again. and now it works! What gives? Thank you! I don't think it is intuitive though. Deselecting "Attach to Beat" should be the correct thing to deselect IMHO.

Peter. I still can only reply/post when signed out... and THEN sign in. I can send you screenshots if you like.

Gilberto
Finale 27.3
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
- Neil Gaiman -

John Ruggero
Finale Version: Finale 25.5

Post by John Ruggero » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:46 am

If you have a lot of those, you can create a smart line that includes both a roman numeral (or anything else) and the dashed line and be able to add it as a unit.
2020 M1 Mac mini (OS 12.6) Finale 25.5, Dorico, Affinity Publisher, SmartScore 64 Pro, JW Plug-ins, TG Tools, Keyboard Maestro
www.cantilenapress.com

"The better the composer, the better the notation."

Gilberto Rey

Post by Gilberto Rey » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:28 am

@ John,

Thank you for the tip. :D I knew this already. The screenshot was only an example. (I am actually a user of Finale since version 3.7. I think it was back in 1996? I use it on a daily basis but this was the first time in years I couldn't figure something out).
It's good we have these fora since the one MakeMusic created in December 2016 is really bad. This is one of my daily pages to visit.
Finale 27.3
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
- Neil Gaiman -