Urgent: Finale Midi Import Nightmare- Compound to Duple

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Piano Pete
Operating System: Windows

Post by Piano Pete » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:08 am

Hi guys,

I am currently working on a very large score and Finale has struck again! The work jumps around between simple, compound, and asymmetrical meters all based on the half note versus the quarter due. It is mostly in 6/4, but for some reason Finale had a hissy-fit when it imported the midi from the DAW projects. All of the duple sections where Dotted Half= Half were imported as duple groupings within the compound 6/4. So what should be a two eighth notes within a 2/4 measure are marked as a duplet-pairing within 6/4. All of my attempts to correct the measures via changing the time signature have been unsuccessful.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Unfortunately, I do not have time to go through and re-enter everything due to the length, orchestration, and deadline of the piece(s).

This project has been ridiculous. I just spent the past few days going through and putting notes back in their proper places since Finale also decided to split single midi tracks across several staves. >.<

Gotta love technology!
Windows 10
Finale: 2012, 25

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:51 am

Does your sequencer output time signature information?

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:53 am

Jari's JW Meter & Rhythm plug-in may be able to help, as it has options for converting duplets or triplets into their relevant time sigs.

Piano Pete

Post by Piano Pete » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:47 pm

The plugin did the trick!

From looking at the sequencer, it looked like it kept everything within 6/4 instead of changing the measure to 2/4. I couldn't remember how to convert the bpm of a dotted quarter=quarter; I tried using the formula I thought was right [ dotted quarter x (3/2) = quarter ] but it did not work out in logic, so I told the individual to keep it. I am not sure if it would have made a difference in that DAW to have used something besides 6/4 or 2/4.
Windows 10

Piano Pete

Post by Piano Pete » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:12 pm

Another problem: All of my articulations and expression texts are not available in this specific project. I started it by opening the midi, as I normally do when it gets to me, and I do not think it loaded any of my fonts. Is there a way to get my articulations and fonts into the project without me opening a separate file and copying and pasting everything over?

I guess worst case scenario is that I could just export the music xml into a blank project that uses a template.

--- Fixed via xml re-import---
Windows 10

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:33 pm

You can save a Library file that contains what you need and then import it in.

Finale documents that start as MIDI files should be based on the default document, which is set in App Preferences.

Piano Pete

Post by Piano Pete » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:59 am

I cannot seem to find the correct app preferences. Is this within the finale folder or without the %appdata folder?
Windows 10

BuonTempi

Post by BuonTempi » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:04 pm

The default document is set in the application's Preferences dialog, under the "New" pane. The name of the file you specify there must exist in the "Default Files" folder, the location of which will be listed in the "Folders" pane of the same Preferences dialog.