Finale Scrips using keyboard shortcuts

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

CMoncur
Finale Version: Finale 26.3.1 Mac
Operating System: Mac

Post by CMoncur » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:57 pm

I've just recently started experimenting with finale scripts and for some reason when I create one it runs fine when I actually run the script from the window but when I try to use a keyboard shortcut they don't seem to run. I've tried this in both Finale 2014.5 and Finale 25 and no luck in either.

I'm new to these so it may be user error but I even tried a simple script for creating multimeasure rests (menu item "create") which I think is very straightforward and no luck.

I tried letting it find a shortcut to make sure I wasn't overlapping another but nothing seems to work!

Thanks!
Finale 26.3.1, Mac OS X 13.6.3

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:15 pm

It seems to be flakey. I've used Ctrl-Alt- for all my script triggers and they mostly work, but sometimes they don't.

Skjalg
Finale Version: 26

Post by Skjalg » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:50 pm

Keyboard shortcuts in scripts are very buggy in the latest Finale update.
You have to replace them with menu items; instead of [command "x"] you'll have to use [menu item "Cut"] and so on...

Edit: I misread your post and answered to something completely different, sorry!
Finale26
Mac High Sierra
Finale user since 1995

CMoncur
Finale Version: Finale 26.3.1 Mac

Post by CMoncur » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:04 am

It wasn't what I was asking but now I'm wondering how to work around keyboard shortcuts!

The script I so badly want to use is a script to make an expression appear in only a part!

Because the menu item is not in a proper menu but rather a right click menu I think I'm having problems.

This was my instinct but it's not working...maybe someone can point me in the right direction? (It's so hard to find DETAILED instructions on scripts!)

(with the expression selected)
shift enter
dropdown "Part(s) Only" near "Show On:"
click OK

Should be simple, no? I have tried:

menu item "Edit Expression Assignment..."
or
right click
select "Edit Expression Assignment..."

and every other possible command I can think of to no avail!

ANY help is greatly appreciated!
Finale 26.3.1, Mac OS X 13.6.3

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:26 pm

You might have better luck making a script that you run in the score to unlink and then hide the expression.