3 different verses and lyrics

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Lebovitztap1
Finale Version: Finale
Operating System: Windows

Post by Lebovitztap1 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:14 pm

Hello,
I have a song that has three different verses and slightly different rhythms. Sometimes the notes even overlap. How do I clearly write in the notes for each verse Lyric 1-3 so you can plainly see the difference and how then do I write the Lyrics so Finale recognizes those differences.

Thanks so much
Michael

miker
Finale Version: Finale 27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by miker » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:28 pm

For layout, the usual way is to break the notes down, and use a dashed slur. For example, if a note is sung as a half note in one verse, and two quarters in another, write it as the two quarters, and join them. If there are a lot of them, and rehearsal time is limited, I would write the whole song out three times.
Screen Shot 2017-10-05 at 1.26.46 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-05 at 1.26.46 PM.png (112.59 KiB) Viewed 2388 times
For playback, it's a whole different game, and a LOT more complicated, using hidden layers, with expressions to determine which one is played on the repeats. IMHO, don't bother. Just copy the song three times, and change the notes in each section as needed.
Finale 27 | SmartScorePro 64
Mac OS 13.2.1 Ventura
Copyist for Barbershop Harmony Society

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:17 pm

Lebovitztap1 wrote:I have a song that has three different verses and slightly different rhythms. Sometimes the notes even overlap. How do I clearly write in the notes for each verse Lyric 1-3 so you can plainly see the difference and how then do I write the Lyrics so Finale recognizes those differences.
With three different note rhythms, I'd suggest writing out at least one of them on a second page/system. You can use Layer 1 & 2 to show some minor differences between verses, but three separate versions on one stave is too many, IMO.

Lebovitztap1
Finale Version: Finale
Operating System: Windows

Post by Lebovitztap1 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:16 pm

Thanks for your help. It is for one singer and I wrote out all the 3 verses. For another piece which had only ONE rhythm change I did what you suggested and connected the note and that worked out just fine. . Again thanks for the replies.

Michael