Trumpet in C in score, Bb in part

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

rbratton
Finale Version: Finale 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by rbratton » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:18 pm

Finale 25.4 Windows

I don't think this should be that hard, but maybe I'm missing something. I have a score for a friend -- SATB with piano and organ. She now wants to add a trumpet. I suggested we put Trumpet in C in the score (in case the organist wants to fill in) and then produce C and Bb parts for the trumpet player.

I added an additional staff in the score using the Score Manager and positioned it between the voices and keyboards. The instrument was set to be Trumpet in C and no transposition. I then went to Document | Manage Parts and created a new part (named Trumpet in Bb) which is based on the Trumpet in C part.

I thought I had everything worked out with the transpositions -- I could just enter the notes in Trumpet in C and they would be carried over and transposed to the Trumpet in Bb. Long story short -- something went wrong and I had to start over and can't get back to where I was (i.e., tried so many things I forgot what worked. Sigh!)

How do I tell Finale my Trumpet in Bb needs to be transposed from the notes in the Trumpet in C part? If I set the transposition in the Score Manager to Bb, all the trumpet parts (in the score and parts) get transposed. It seems there should be a setting in the Manage Parts dialog where you could specify a transposition for a particular part (sort of how you specify voicing if you are splitting a score staff into 1st and 2nd parts). I also tried a transposing staff style, but applying it to the Bb part also applies it to the score and the C part.

What's the easiest way (or the Finale way) to do this? Thanks!
Randy Bratton
Finale 3.0.6 - v26
Full GPO, JABB, CoMB, Full KONTAKT 5, SONAR Platinum
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Custom-built Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz/8GB RAM
E-MU 1820 PCI Audio Interface, Mackie MR5 powered monitors
M-Audio Axiom 61 USB Keyboard

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:14 pm

There is an option in the part called something like Unlink from Score. I'll check the exact wording. That's how you do it.

Zuill

P.S.: "Unlink all instruments in this part". This is found in the Score manager when in the part. Attached is a sample.
Attachments
C Trumpet Score with Bb Trumpet Part.musx
(84.6 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
Last edited by zuill on Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:50 pm

To follow up, a Staff Style could be used as suggested. You can choose to have the Staff Style only appear in the part and not in the score. However, the way my demo file does it is probably easier.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

rbratton
Finale Version: Finale 25

Post by rbratton » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:19 pm

zuill wrote:There is an option in the part called something like Unlink from Score. I'll check the exact wording. That's how you do it.

Zuill

P.S.: "Unlink all instruments in this part". This is found in the Score manager when in the part. Attached is a sample.
Aha -- that works nicely. I also rediscovered that I could apply a staff style to only the part (as you mentioned), but I like this method much better. Thanks!!!
Randy Bratton
Finale 3.0.6 - v26
Full GPO, JABB, CoMB, Full KONTAKT 5, SONAR Platinum
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Custom-built Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz/8GB RAM
E-MU 1820 PCI Audio Interface, Mackie MR5 powered monitors
M-Audio Axiom 61 USB Keyboard