Finale and Cubase Question

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

agarner32

Post by agarner32 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:55 pm

Does anybody know how I can unlink Cubase and Finale? For some reason Finale starts playing when I play Cubase. Basically I don't want the two programs to have anything to do with each other. I'm scoring a film and when Finale starts playing with Cubase it starts crapping out. In fact, I really don't want any sounds playing in Finale ever if that's possible.

Thanks much for any help.

Aaron

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:01 pm

Sounds like Finale's ReWire feature is kicking in. Make sure ReWire is turned off in Cubase. Also relaunching Finale before Cubase should help.

You can set the Audio Unit (on Mac) or VST (on Windows) to ----, which will stop any playback. Or set Playback to MIDI, and then in Midi Setup set Playback to "MIDI System" instead of SmartMusic SoftSynth. Then make sure that Finale's MIDI Output channels are set to None.

Alternatively, just closing the Playback window should prevent most playback.

MikeHalloran
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by MikeHalloran » Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:13 pm

One or more of those steps should do it. If not, find Rewire in the Help files and see if there’s something you are overlooking.
Mike Halloran

Finale 27.3, SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5 & World Instruments
MacOS Ventura 13.2.1; 2017 iMac Pro 18 Core, 128G RAM, 4TB; 2021 MBAir M1
NotePerformer3, Dorico 4, Overture, Notion 6, DP 11, Logic Pro

agarner32

Post by agarner32 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:22 pm

Thank you very much Mike and BuonTempi. That worked perfectly. One last question. I don't have the dialog in front of me, but basically what happens is a box comes up saying it can't find the Finale instruments or something along those lines. Is there a way to get rid of that? I did Google that but still couldn't find the answer. Basically I just want to use Finale as a notation program without any sounds. I certainly don't mind reading the manual so if somebody can just point me in the right direction.

Again, thanks for the responses which solved my problem.

Aaron

Zoots
Finale Version: Finale 25.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by Zoots » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:36 pm

What about selecting MIDI and then in the Device Setup -- MIDI Setup -- MIDI input/output window select "None" for the output.
Finale 25.5
SmartScore 64
JABB3
Windows 11