Violin Scordatura notation/non-standard tuning notation

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

pp202
Finale Version: Finale (v25)
Operating System: Mac

Post by pp202 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:13 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm writing a piece for violin that has the G string tuned down to an F. I'm writing everything in concert pitch for now and then will create a fingered playable version later. Like other violin pieces that do this, when you see notes written on the G-string, different pitches sound to the actual printed notes (because of the lowered tuning). Before I create two different parts, I have two questions:

1) Is there a way to create a custom tuned string instrument staff so perhaps I can just copy and paste the concert pitch part over, or start with the 'display concert pitch' option selected so I don't have to re-write a part out? I know there is a way to do it on guitar TAB, but I can't figure it out for notation.
2) How do I create a custom key signature? For example in Biber's Rosary sonatas from the baroque era, every sonata is custom tuned, and the key signatures are all non-standard, F-sharp and G-sharp next to each other, or other.

Many thanks!

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4

Post by Peter Thomsen » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:43 am

Welcome to the forum!

1) For Scordatura in a standard notation staff you need to put the G string notes in a separate layer.
Then, assign an expression with playback effect Transposition to that layer.
In Layer 1, create a new instrument and call it, say, Violin I. Assign it to Channel 1 and the GM Violin Patch 41.
In Layer 2, create a new instrument and call it Violin II. Assign it to the same channel and the same patch.
Repeat for Layer 3 and 4 if needed.
Now, when you assign the expression to Layer 1, it will only affect Layer 1.
Even though the channel is the same, by creating a new instrument in the Instrument List, the playback result can be isolated to that layer.

2) You can create a custom key signature with the Key Signature Tool.
However, creating a custom key signature is not for “Finale beginners”.
Example in the attached Finale document.
Attachments
GypsyScale.musx
(14.68 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

pp202
Finale Version: Finale (v25)

Post by pp202 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:47 am

Wow - really brilliant information!!

Many, many thanks!!

Skjalg
Finale Version: 26

Post by Skjalg » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:39 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote:
1) For Scordatura in a standard notation staff you need to put the G string notes in a separate layer.
Then, assign an expression with playback effect Transposition to that layer.
In Layer 1, create a new instrument and call it, say, Violin I. Assign it to Channel 1 and the GM Violin Patch 41.
In Layer 2, create a new instrument and call it Violin II. Assign it to the same channel and the same patch.
Repeat for Layer 3 and 4 if needed.
Now, when you assign the expression to Layer 1, it will only affect Layer 1.
Even though the channel is the same, by creating a new instrument in the Instrument List, the playback result can be isolated to that layer.
I did this 10-15 years ago, and the great JW came up with this solution:
• Write as it is supposed to be played
• In speedy entry, use the [-] button to lower the pitch of notes played on the G string
• Press [*] to hide the accidental(s)

This procedure has its limitations, but works fine in many cases.
Finale26
Mac High Sierra
Finale user since 1995

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:05 am

pp202 wrote: 2) How do I create a custom key signature? For example in Biber's Rosary sonatas from the baroque era, every sonata is custom tuned, and the key signatures are all non-standard, F-sharp and G-sharp next to each other, or other.
Non-traditional key signatures in Finale are arcane in the extreme. Attached is my how-to. Let us know how it goes.
Attachments
NonTradKey.zip
(97.67 KiB) Downloaded 209 times